4ENCLAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Has anyone used the 0th level character rules?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet
Name: Felorn Gloryaxe
Class: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

Has anyone used the 0th level character rules? Empty
PostSubject: Has anyone used the 0th level character rules?   Has anyone used the 0th level character rules? EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 7:05 pm

Has anyone used the 0th level characters rules from Dragon 403? If you have could you please tell me how well they work? From a first glance they seem like they would be interesting to use but they also seem a little odd at the same time.
Back to top Go down
ToeSama
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
ToeSama

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone used the 0th level character rules?   Has anyone used the 0th level character rules? EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 8:15 pm

We tried it. There was a bit of interesting things they could do, but the system was pretty clunky... The ability score transition wasn't all that great either, and the attack powers didn't account for all primary ability scores of their class array in their use (Monks, for example, didn't want to worry about Cha at the time of the article being published, never mind Int). The Arcane and Psionic powers were a particular disappointment. Every other power source could do damage worth a damn with their attacks save for those. We had to give em a 1d6 damage value and add an attack line to the Arcane power to make them viable for anything that wasn't a minion...

All in all, I wouldn't recommend use as presented, and if you don't feel like house ruling it, I wouldn't recommend use at all. It didn't add much role playing depth to the game in the least and the mechanical aspects were disjointed from the game at large.
Back to top Go down
Chris24601
Legend
Legend

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone used the 0th level character rules?   Has anyone used the 0th level character rules? EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 6:36 am

Personally, for 0th level I'd reduce the starting hit points by the amount they gain each level (i.e. 4, 5 or 6), limit them to one at-will attack with no class encounter or daily powers and give them only 60 gp of starting gold.

This will leave them with their most basic class abilities, a functional at-will attack, and whatever extras their race and/or theme grant them. The 60 gold pieces is enough to afford a suit of chainmail, a longsword, a dagger, a backpack, hemp rope and flint & steel. If you're lucky one of the party members who needs lighter armor can scrounge up a torch or maybe even a lantern.

That seems right about the level of desperation for a 0-level party to me.
Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet
Name: Felorn Gloryaxe
Class: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone used the 0th level character rules?   Has anyone used the 0th level character rules? EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 5:29 pm

I actually rather like the sound of that more than the actual rules presented. I might use that when I start another 4e campaign. Smile 
Back to top Go down
skwyd42
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
skwyd42

Character sheet
Name: Alain Smith IV
Class: Vampire
Race: Half-Elf

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone used the 0th level character rules?   Has anyone used the 0th level character rules? EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 9:43 pm

My understanding of the 0-level rules was to allow the players to "feel out" different power sources and roles before settling on what they would play. They seemed interesting, but I haven't had an opportunity to try them out.
Back to top Go down
CHIA
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
CHIA

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone used the 0th level character rules?   Has anyone used the 0th level character rules? EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 12:34 pm

skwyd42 wrote:
My understanding of the 0-level rules was to allow the players to "feel out" different power sources and roles before settling on what they would play. They seemed interesting, but I haven't had an opportunity to try them out.
Same. I'm planning to try them out with some newbies if I get the chance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone used the 0th level character rules?   Has anyone used the 0th level character rules? Empty

Back to top Go down

Has anyone used the 0th level character rules?
Page 1 of 1