4ENCLAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What Should Appear on a Deluxe Character Sheet? [Character-Wise]

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
C4
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
C4

What Should Appear on a Deluxe Character Sheet? [Character-Wise] Empty
PostSubject: What Should Appear on a Deluxe Character Sheet? [Character-Wise]   What Should Appear on a Deluxe Character Sheet? [Character-Wise] EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 10:49 am

Link 1 (Fluffy Character Stuff)

Link 2 (Crunchy Character Stuff)

Link 3 (More Crunchy Stuff)

I'm writing what I hope will be a friendlier and less-cramped character sheet, and I'm curious what others think the ideal character part of a character sheet should look like. So click on the google doc link, imagine lines to write on for each entry, and tell me what you'd add or drop!

Last edited by C4 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://complete4th.wordpress.com
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet
Name: Felorn Gloryaxe
Class: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

PostSubject: Re: What Should Appear on a Deluxe Character Sheet? [Character-Wise]   What Should Appear on a Deluxe Character Sheet? [Character-Wise] EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 4:14 pm

Well just looking at the first page I feel that it's already cramped. If I were you I would put Important NPCs on a totally separate page and leave the first one just for characters. I would decrease the size of the Character Portrait box as well as I don't know anyone who actually uses those things (though obviously there are people that do). I would give more space in between the lines too, for more detail.
Also consider adding more personal details to the first page such as personality quirks, family, humor, hobbies, etc. Think of it being like a facebook page for your character, minus all the games and spam of course.

Just my 2cp.
Back to top Go down
CHIA
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
CHIA

PostSubject: Re: What Should Appear on a Deluxe Character Sheet? [Character-Wise]   What Should Appear on a Deluxe Character Sheet? [Character-Wise] EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 6:33 pm

Felorn Gloryaxe wrote:
Think of it being like a facebook page for your character, minus all the games and spam of course.

Very much this, imo.
Back to top Go down
C4
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
C4

PostSubject: Re: What Should Appear on a Deluxe Character Sheet? [Character-Wise]   What Should Appear on a Deluxe Character Sheet? [Character-Wise] EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 8:34 pm

Felorn Gloryaxe wrote:
Think of it being like a facebook page for your character, minus all the games and spam of course. 
I thought people are supposed to like reading character sheets.

Wink

In all seriousness though, what you say makes a lot of sense.

EDIT: Should I add the Adventuring Company entry that seems to be on all of WotC's CSs? Does anyone outside of the Forgotten Realms actually refer to adventuring companies? It seems so...cheesy. But then, I am writing this CS largely for new players, so maybe that's a good thing.
Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet
Name: Felorn Gloryaxe
Class: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

PostSubject: Re: What Should Appear on a Deluxe Character Sheet? [Character-Wise]   What Should Appear on a Deluxe Character Sheet? [Character-Wise] EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 9:58 pm

I typically like using Adventuring parties of some sort. It isn't really that helpful in a plot driven game but in a sandbox game driven by character actions it can be.
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet
Name: Garthanos
Class: Arcadian Knight
Race: Auld Worlder

PostSubject: Re: What Should Appear on a Deluxe Character Sheet? [Character-Wise]   What Should Appear on a Deluxe Character Sheet? [Character-Wise] EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 4:45 am

All the content on that sheet I would just write in paragraph form most of the time I would use descriptive phrases not exact numbers and so on.

The purpose of formalized character sheets are explicitly for interacting with game mechanic information.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dyasdesigns.com/kingsmagic.html
C4
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
C4

PostSubject: Re: What Should Appear on a Deluxe Character Sheet? [Character-Wise]   What Should Appear on a Deluxe Character Sheet? [Character-Wise] EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 9:24 am

Garthanos wrote:
All the content on that sheet I would just write in paragraph form most of the time I would use descriptive phrases not exact numbers and so on.
I'm with you; I don't even use CSs for stats.

But I wouldn't say that CSs are just for mechanics -- they've always had space for stuff like appearance and personality, from OD&D to 4e. I think formalized CSs exist for players who need the structure -- whether for the fluff, for the crunch, or for both. 'Cause if a player needs the structure for mechanics but not for characterization, or vice versa, he/she can always just print out the page he/she needs.
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What Should Appear on a Deluxe Character Sheet? [Character-Wise]   What Should Appear on a Deluxe Character Sheet? [Character-Wise] EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 9:06 pm

C4 wrote:
Garthanos wrote:
Is that one upmanship? Wink 
C4 wrote:

But I wouldn't say that CSs are just for mechanics -- they've always had space for stuff like appearance and personality, from OD&D to 4e. I think formalized CSs exist for players who need the structure -- whether for the fluff, for the crunch, or for both. 'Cause if a player needs the structure for mechanics but not for characterization, or vice versa, he/she can always just print out the page he/she needs.
I find formality in non-mechanical arenas can straight jacket peoples thinking. But I am sure you will find folk who consider it inspiring (so I suppose I agree).
Back to top Go down
C4
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
C4

PostSubject: Re: What Should Appear on a Deluxe Character Sheet? [Character-Wise]   What Should Appear on a Deluxe Character Sheet? [Character-Wise] EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 9:37 pm

OP updated with the reformatted fluff page, and the two crunch pages.

Garthanos wrote:
C4 wrote:
Garthanos wrote:
Is that one upmanship?  Wink 
Haha, that's right; you can't call yourself a hard core gamer until you scribble your characters on the backs of dirty napkins. Cool
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What Should Appear on a Deluxe Character Sheet? [Character-Wise]   What Should Appear on a Deluxe Character Sheet? [Character-Wise] EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 3:31 am

C4 wrote:
OP updated with the reformatted fluff page, and the two crunch pages.

Garthanos wrote:
C4 wrote:
Garthanos wrote:
Is that one upmanship?  Wink 
Haha, that's right; you can't call yourself a hard core gamer until you scribble your characters on the backs of dirty napkins. Cool
Heh, ok I admit I sometimes write out why a character has a particular stat... or has a particular skill trained.

Is that paladin channeling the divine constantly?  Is that Warlocks con high because he is using it to resist the pain of his spell casting technique? Is history trained because he spent his youth in Merlins library or because he has ancestral memories channelled through his blood-line or reincarnative ones? or because nobility are trained in the art of war and exposed to history and heraldry and so on. It elaborates and connects stats/skills and abilities to the characters background this knowing why.

Who would put things like that on a formal sheet.

And then of course there is reflavoring... He doesnt know cleave he knows various combination strikes where he launches an attack which includes a kick/or punch at one enemy and a slash at another... or perhaps it is an attack whose main effect seems very minor against one target but induces them to harm their ally and he calls it using one against the other.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Should Appear on a Deluxe Character Sheet? [Character-Wise]   What Should Appear on a Deluxe Character Sheet? [Character-Wise] Empty

Back to top Go down

What Should Appear on a Deluxe Character Sheet? [Character-Wise]
Page 1 of 1