4ENCLAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tropic Casting Speed and the Price of Power.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet
Name: Garthanos
Class: Arcadian Knight
Race: Auld Worlder

Tropic Casting Speed and the Price of Power. Empty
PostSubject: Tropic Casting Speed and the Price of Power.   Tropic Casting Speed and the Price of Power. EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 11:25 am

One thing that people liked (including myself) in 1e/2e era was with regards to spell casters supporting certain genre tropes. Yes Vancian was sort of the picture of "poor support of genre" but there was something that actually did get support WORKING MAGIC/CASTING SPELLS is nominally slower than the SLASH of STEEL.  The main issue I always had with that earlier implementation was that .. its effects were too harsh at low levels when it was most likely to have a real impact... and less likely to take effect when it had less impact at high levels (when it was needed the most).
I think the idea can be ported to all powers whether they are spells or more elaborate usage of weapons.
The IDEA is to allow users to modify how a power works ie empowering it by paying a price for that power these amount to having additional tactical choices about how one uses a power

I generally think this price could be significant enough to validate effects turning encounter powers in to daily potency if you are willing/able to pay the price.

Three Empowering Choices :

• Do you take an extra turn working the effect or setting yourself up
  • do you rush it and accept an aftermath (might be 2 rounds of only at-wills).
  • or are you sacrificing something immediately. (Sacrifice moves might work like the weapon enchantment that allowed one to spend hit points to increase the damage).

I think something like it might be constructable as a Add on rule so you still have encounter powers and dailies but if this was done correctly I might be inclined to render all powers with a flexible at-will/upgrade1/upgrade2 form then modify them based on the methods applied to them -

Can a move be both a sacrifice move and take an extra turn to get two upgrades? hmm why not?

Can a specific power have its own form of after math ie the aftermath of that fire effect could be taking ongoing fire etc... Certain powers in 4e already have effects which harm the user.. (See the invoker for examples) In some ways that is another inspiration for this..
Back to top Go down
http://www.dyasdesigns.com/kingsmagic.html

Tropic Casting Speed and the Price of Power.
Page 1 of 1