4ENCLAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

4e conversions of older monsters

Go down 
+2
AbdulAlhazred
ToeSama
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ToeSama
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
ToeSama

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

4e conversions of older monsters Empty
PostSubject: 4e conversions of older monsters   4e conversions of older monsters EmptySat May 18, 2013 10:00 am

I've done quite a few of these for fun. It's neat to try and work older mechanics into the 4e style.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Amethyst Dragon ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.])

Crystal Dragon ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.])

Emerald Dragons ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.])

Sapphire Dragons ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.])

Topaz Dragons ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.])

Obsidian Dragons ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.])

==NEW==
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Will post more as I make them, but don't let me have all the fun though. Post your 4e versions of older monsters that never got reintroduced. Critique others works, and of course, share ideas and requests :)

Last edited by ToeSama on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
AbdulAlhazred
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer
AbdulAlhazred

PostSubject: Re: 4e conversions of older monsters   4e conversions of older monsters EmptySat May 18, 2013 2:41 pm

I'm curious about the dragons, why the use of "Action Recovery" as the sole anti-lockdown measure? At higher levels it probably won't work (well anyway). I think I'd want to go with something more like the extra out-of-turn action mechanic that MV dragons use. It works more reliably, but still leaves stuns and such having SOME benefit.

The other thing that I was curious about was the 'immortal' keyword on these dragons. I don't recall anything in their original Dragon magazine incarnation that indicated they were associated with the gods or higher planes of existence, they were just unusual neutral dragons with variant powers. If anything they seemed more to have a fey association. Contrast with the Adamantium Dragons in the 2nd Draconomicon, which are immortal, live primarily in one or another of the higher planes, and speak Supernal.
Back to top Go down
ToeSama
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
ToeSama

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: 4e conversions of older monsters   4e conversions of older monsters EmptySat May 18, 2013 6:05 pm

It was more of a basic lock prevention than anything else. I built them quite a while ago, so they're a bit aged. I'll probably play with other options if I go back and add to them any down the road.

As for the immortal origin, that's a bit from my own homebrew leaking in, since I have them with a similar origin story to Shardminds. No other real reason besides that Smile
Back to top Go down
AbdulAlhazred
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer
AbdulAlhazred

PostSubject: Re: 4e conversions of older monsters   4e conversions of older monsters EmptySat May 18, 2013 6:52 pm

ToeSama wrote:
It was more of a basic lock prevention than anything else. I built them quite a while ago, so they're a bit aged. I'll probably play with other options if I go back and add to them any down the road.

As for the immortal origin, that's a bit from my own homebrew leaking in, since I have them with a similar origin story to Shardminds. No other real reason besides that Smile

Cool. They look like they'll work pretty well, overall. Maybe add something like the "Instinctive Devouring" that the young black dragon has in MV. It really cuts back the utility of dominate and stun against these creatures, but you probably want that (though for the low level versions it probably doesn't matter that much, heroic parties rarely have a lot of action denial). The extra attack is a welcome addition too.

I have gotten pretty jaded on 4e monsters though. Its funny, people seem not to do a lot of other hacking on 4e, but they sure do pump out the monsters.
Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet
Name: Felorn Gloryaxe
Class: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

PostSubject: Re: 4e conversions of older monsters   4e conversions of older monsters EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 5:38 am

How did you get the stat blocks in an image format?
Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4e conversions of older monsters   4e conversions of older monsters EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 6:57 am

Classic crazy/stupid monster I remade.

Edit: I've had to remake this sucker 3 time because I kept forgetting little things.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Flumph Picture:

Spoiler:

Last edited by Felorn Gloryaxe on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ToeSama
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
ToeSama

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: 4e conversions of older monsters   4e conversions of older monsters EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 7:40 am

Felorn Gloryaxe wrote:

Print screen, paste in paint and cut out the unneeded parts, then saved it as a png.

I use the classic builder, which has an problem with the formatting on image conversion. I don't know how image conversion works for the online builder cause I don't use it.
Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4e conversions of older monsters   4e conversions of older monsters EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 5:28 pm

I'm not really sure why this one didn't make it into 4e, but, I've made another but I'm not sure if I like it. Give me some feedback:

Giant Eagle:

Giant Eagle Picture:
Back to top Go down
ToeSama
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
ToeSama

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: 4e conversions of older monsters   4e conversions of older monsters EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 10:37 pm

The dive attack might be better written as one of the standard fly by attacks, but looks good otherwise.
Back to top Go down
CHIA
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
CHIA

PostSubject: Re: 4e conversions of older monsters   4e conversions of older monsters EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 1:23 pm

^Agreed. ^ Nice work here guys. Much obliged to all of you.
Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4e conversions of older monsters   4e conversions of older monsters EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 11:14 pm

Thanks. I really like my flumph, I've always liked the oddball creatures of D&D. Sama's Gem Dragons are awesome too. Gem, and Metallic Dragons were always my favorite.
Back to top Go down
ToeSama
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
ToeSama

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: 4e conversions of older monsters   4e conversions of older monsters EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 12:25 pm

New monsters added to my post up top.
Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4e conversions of older monsters   4e conversions of older monsters EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 8:41 pm

Awesome stuff Sama! Keep it up! 

I myself was thinking of starting a different thread for making critters and characters from video games like, The Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong, Mario, Sonic, Halo, Pikmin, Left 4 Dead, etc.
Back to top Go down
ToeSama
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
ToeSama

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: 4e conversions of older monsters   4e conversions of older monsters EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 10:37 pm

Seems a decent sort of idea. Go for it I say Smile
Back to top Go down
Scrivener of Doom
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
Scrivener of Doom

PostSubject: Re: 4e conversions of older monsters   4e conversions of older monsters EmptyFri Sep 13, 2013 12:53 am

Felorn Gloryaxe wrote:
You can also print to PDF then pull the stat block out with snapshot or, if you version of Acrobat allows, save the file as a .jpg.
Back to top Go down
Generic Fighter
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
Generic Fighter

PostSubject: Re: 4e conversions of older monsters   4e conversions of older monsters EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 1:29 pm

Awesome stuff here. I, also, have made several old monsters and critters from other games/media for 4E. Those include the Thoquaa, Donkey Kong, several Gundams, Dobby the House Elf and the Full set of Small, Medium, Large and Huge Elementals! All told I've made at least 150 unique Custom Monsters. I've been posting stuff about some of those on my Blog, too.

I've always wanted to amass a "Community Monster Manual" or something like it. If you don't mind, I would love to add these things to something like that. Let me know:)

GF
Back to top Go down
http://genericfighter.blogspot.com/
ToeSama
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
ToeSama

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: 4e conversions of older monsters   4e conversions of older monsters EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 3:53 pm

Welcome to the forums.

Nothing in my post is really "original". I simply took old 3.X monsters and did em up 4e style is all. That said, if you're not going to be putting it up on a commercial market, feel free and put em in the pot for your book. Just remember to credit appropriately :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4e conversions of older monsters   4e conversions of older monsters Empty

Back to top Go down

4e conversions of older monsters
Page 1 of 1