4ENCLAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.

Go down 
+7
Chris24601
cavalier973
Duskweaver
Felorn Gloryaxe
ToeSama
CHIA
Admin
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Name: Admin
Class: Admin
Race: Immortal Astral Being

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. Empty
PostSubject: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.   Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 12:15 pm

Yeesh... I wonder where I got this idea from Rolling Eyes

Anyways. I figured this is a needed topic as these types really do tend to be useful. This topic is of course not for talking endlessly about the rules its for asking quick and simple questions such as "What is charging", and answering just as briefly "Charging is rushing at an enemy to make a melee basic attack or bull rush. During charging you move your speed as part of the action then make a melee basic attack or bull rush the enemy with a +1 to attacks. You also must move at least 2 squares in order to charge and you cannot charge through difficult terrain.

Remember to be to the point when your either asking or answering.

If they want a deeper discussion then of course they can start another thread and go in detail.

Best Regards,

- The Admin
Back to top Go down
https://4enclave.forumotion.com
CHIA
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
CHIA

PostSubject: Re: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.   Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 9:01 am

This is kind of embarrassing...but I've never actually understood how dual wielding (swords, axes, etc) works if you don't have any sort of proficiency feat for dual wielding.
Back to top Go down
ToeSama
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
ToeSama

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.   Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 12:29 pm

CHIA wrote:
This is kind of embarrassing...but I've never actually understood how dual wielding (swords, axes, etc) works if you don't have any sort of proficiency feat for dual wielding.

This is an old 3.X thing more or less. 4e didn't have a need for proficiency to dual wield. You don't even need to be proficient with a weapon to wield any weapons in 4e, just to get the bonus.

To answer your question, you can only dual wield a weapon in your off hand that has the off hand weapon property. Past that, no requirements. Some classes (like Ranger) can let you wield non off hand weapons in your off hand normally, but they are the exception to the rule. Dual wielding is a bit more gimmicky in 4e than anything else. Only certain classes/builds can use it effectively for it to be more than just holding a weapon in your off hand, so it's kinda something that only sees play for certain advantages, such as using multiple magic item properties at the same time.

Hope this helps. Happy Gaming :)
Back to top Go down
CHIA
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
CHIA

PostSubject: Re: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.   Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 12:43 pm

ToeSama wrote:
CHIA wrote:

This is an old 3.X thing more or less. 4e didn't have a need for proficiency to dual wield. You don't even need to be proficient with a weapon to wield any weapons in 4e, just to get the bonus.

To answer your question, you can only dual wield a weapon in your off hand that has the off hand weapon property. Past that, no requirements. Some classes (like Ranger) can let you wield non off hand weapons in your off hand normally, but they are the exception to the rule. Dual wielding is a bit more gimmicky in 4e than anything else. Only certain classes/builds can use it effectively for it to be more than just holding a weapon in your off hand, so it's kinda something that only sees play for certain advantages, such as using multiple magic item properties at the same time.

Hope this helps. Happy Gaming Smile

Thankee much! sunny 
Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet
Name: Felorn Gloryaxe
Class: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

PostSubject: Re: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.   Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 12:17 am

What happens when PC's lose all their healing surges and suffer an effect that would make them lose one?
Back to top Go down
ToeSama
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
ToeSama

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.   Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 2:24 am

Felorn Gloryaxe wrote:
What happens when PC's lose all their healing surges and suffer an effect that would make them lose one?

Normally the effect itself says what to do there. Most effects like this say to lose hit points equal to surge value. I don't think there's an actual rule in any of the books about it though. Only checked the Rules Compendium, so if someone else knows, feel free to correct me.
Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.   Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 2:55 am

ToeSama wrote:
Felorn Gloryaxe wrote:

Normally the effect itself says what to do there. Most effects like this say to lose hit points equal to surge value. I don't think there's an actual rule in any of the books about it though. Only checked the Rules Compendium, so if someone else knows, feel free to correct me.
I figured it might be that they take damage equal to their level... Hmmm.... There has to be an official rule somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Duskweaver
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer
Duskweaver

Character sheet
Name: Duskweaver
Class: Invoker
Race: Eladrin

PostSubject: Re: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.   Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 6:59 am

There isn't a general rule. If the power or effect doesn't specify, then nothing happens.
Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.   Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 4:46 pm

That's weird. I think I might Houserule it to cause damage equal to your level.
Back to top Go down
cavalier973
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer
cavalier973

PostSubject: Re: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.   Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 5:31 pm

I discovered the answer for this, but the question was about the Monster Vault dragons' traits that had the "on an initiative of 10 + its initiative check", the dragon does X.

It means that the dragon gets to act twice a round; once at its initiative check, and once earlier in the round (its initiative check + 10).

So, Ace, Buck, Cleo, and Duke come upon a dragon, and roll initiative.  They roll 22, 14, 17, 24, and 15 respectively.  The round proceeds thus:

Dragon acts first, and does its instinctive power
Then Duke
Then Ace
Then  Cleo
Then Dragon again
Then Buck.
Back to top Go down
http://greymerryfaire.wordpress.com
ToeSama
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
ToeSama

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.   Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 9:30 am

The Stormheart feature of the Warden says "When you use your second wind, you slide each enemy marked by you and within 2 squares of you 1 square, and each enemy marked by you is slowed until the end of your next turn."

So, do I slide each enemy marked by me, in addition to each enemy within 2 squares of me?

Or do I slide each enemy marked by me that are within 2 squares of me?
Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.   Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 10:14 pm

Does the DC for stabilizing the dying (DC 15) stay the same throughout all the tiers? Or does it go up?
Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.   Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 2:42 pm

Anyone know the major difference between your normal Fly speed, and Overland Flight speed? My buddies I play with says Overland Flight speed can only be used over land and not over water... Which of course makes little to no sense. So does anyone know what exactly Overland Flight is used for?
Back to top Go down
ToeSama
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
ToeSama

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.   Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 5:59 pm

Overland Speed has to do with travel rules. It doesn't need to just be used "over land", but it's not the same as a "Fly speed" either.

For instance, an Ancient Red Dragon says it has a Fly speed of 12, and an Overland Flight Speed of 15. In an encounter and during basic exploration, it would use it's Fly Speed. For the details of overland travel, it would use it's Overland Flight speed to determine how far it got within a full day of travel. It can't use it's Overland Flight speed towards anything other than this.

Overland Travel was sort of nixed from monsters since travel rules were clunky and most of the time it was hand waved completely even on the PCs side, so Overland Flight doesn't really have any pertinent use in actual play unless a group of PCs uses the travel rules and somehow gets their hands on it.

Hope this helps. Happy Gaming Smile
Back to top Go down
Chris24601
Legend
Legend

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.   Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 7:00 pm

An even shorter way of saying it would be that overland flight is the creature's non-combat cruising speed while doing a double-move with its normal flight speed is its all out top speed.
Back to top Go down
ToeSama
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
ToeSama

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.   Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 8:10 pm

Well, that doesn't really paint the picture in its entirety.

Then again, considering I've just read that you actually CAN use Overland Flight during an encounter, I guess mine doesn't either XD

Monster Manual 2 wrote:
Overland flight works like a fly speed with one exception: A creature can take a move action to use overland flight only if it has taken no actions that turn, except free actions or move actions using overland flight. The creature can then take only those actions until the start of its next turn. See also fly speed.
So... yea... 30 squares with double move actions mid combat... No wonder they removed it as a movement mode post MM2 XD
Back to top Go down
skwyd42
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
skwyd42

Character sheet
Name: Alain Smith IV
Class: Vampire
Race: Half-Elf

PostSubject: Re: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.   Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 12:33 am

ToeSama wrote:
The Stormheart feature of the Warden says "When you use your second wind, you slide each enemy marked by you and within 2 squares of you 1 square, and each enemy marked by you is slowed until the end of your next turn."

So, do I slide each enemy marked by me, in addition to each enemy within 2 squares of me?

Or do I slide each enemy marked by me that are within 2 squares of me?
The way I'm reading it, you can only slide enemies that are both marked by you and within 2 squares of you. The rest of the power seems to slow ANY enemy marked by you, regardless of how far away they are.
Back to top Go down
skwyd42
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
skwyd42

Character sheet
Name: Alain Smith IV
Class: Vampire
Race: Half-Elf

PostSubject: Re: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.   Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 12:37 am

Felorn Gloryaxe wrote:
Does the DC for stabilizing the dying (DC 15) stay the same throughout all the tiers? Or does it go up?
I believe it stays the same throughout. The idea is that in Heroic Tier, it is a bit of a challenge to stabilize someone that is dying. In Paragon Tier it is almost an automatic success. In Epic Tier, if you resort to stabilizing instead of just using a power to heal someone, then it shouldn't be a challenge at all.

My compendium has apparently mis-mapped the "heal" entry for a skill to the "fire" entry for damage type... Gotta see if I can fix that...
Back to top Go down
Holy Bovine
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer
Holy Bovine

Character sheet
Name: Darrpat
Class: Paladin
Race: Dragonborn

PostSubject: Re: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.   Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 2:38 pm

I've got one that has come up quite often in my new 4E campaign

Can forced movement break a grapple if the 2 creatures end up out of each other's reach?

i.e. a Choker is grappling PC 1 PC2 uses a power to slide PC 1 1 (or more) squares away from the Choker so they are no longer in base to base contact and out of each others reach. Is the grapple broken by this?

Thanks! Great idea for a thread btw.
Back to top Go down
ToeSama
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
ToeSama

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.   Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 5:51 pm

Holy Bovine wrote:
Can forced movement break a grapple if the 2 creatures end up out of each other's reach?
Yes. It's actually a highly utilized tactic to keep in ones pockets in case of grabby enemies/players.
Back to top Go down
Holy Bovine
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer
Holy Bovine

Character sheet
Name: Darrpat
Class: Paladin
Race: Dragonborn

PostSubject: Re: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.   Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 6:14 pm

ToeSama wrote:
Holy Bovine wrote:
Yes. It's actually a highly utilized tactic to keep in ones pockets in case of grabby enemies/players.
Thank you for your response! Is there a page/book reference for this?
Back to top Go down
Fardiz
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.   Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 10:03 am

Holy Bovine wrote:
ToeSama wrote:
Holy Bovine wrote:
Thank you for your response! Is there a page/book reference for this?
Effects that End a Grab: If you are affected by a condition that prevents you from taking opportunity actions (such as dazed, stunned, surprised, or unconscious), you immediately let go of a grabbed enemy. If you move away from the creature you’re grabbing, you let go and the grab ends. If a pull, a push, or a slide moves you or the creature you’re grabbing out of your reach, the grab ends.

(Published in Player's Handbook, page(s) 290, Player's Handbook 3, page(s) 220, Rules Compendium, page(s) 243.)
Back to top Go down
itaav
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.   Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 10:25 am

If bob the gnomish wizard is hidden, and he uses magic missile, what happens?
Does he stay hidden, since he didn't make an attack roll?
Or is he not longer hidden, since magic missile counts as an attack?

If he uses thunderwave, a blast, is he not longer hidden after he makes the first attack roll or does he stay hidden until all attack rolls have been made?

If he uses unravelling dart, a double attack, would he stay hidden until he has made all attacks, gaining combat advantage for all of them or would he become visible after the first?

Last question: If a warlord is hidden and uses Direct the Strike, is he still hidden?
Back to top Go down
ToeSama
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
ToeSama

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.   Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 11:43 am

itaav wrote:
If bob the gnomish wizard is hidden, and he uses magic missile, what happens?
Does he stay hidden, since he didn't make an attack roll?
Or is he not longer hidden, since magic missile counts as an attack?

Bob is revealed, as Magic Missile is still an attack. Attack rolls do not need to be made, only for an attack to be used. Also applies to the Direct the Strike question.

itaav wrote:
If he uses thunderwave, a blast, is he not longer hidden after he makes the first attack roll or does he stay hidden until all attack rolls have been made?

Hidden until all attack rolls are made. Same for any attack power that makes multiple simultaneous attack rolls, such as Unraveling Dart.
Back to top Go down
itaav
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.   Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 12:28 pm

Okay, so when a monk is hidden, and uses a movement technique, he is not hidden anymore, since the movement technique is technically an attack?  confused 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.   Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. Empty

Back to top Go down

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next