4ENCLAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My new class I've wanted to play for a long time

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
WiccanAssassin
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

My new class I've wanted to play for a long time Empty
PostSubject: My new class I've wanted to play for a long time   My new class I've wanted to play for a long time EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 8:47 pm

Well my current game I'm in is getting close to an end we are lvl 8. The dm's last three games with us were a 35% chance of survival. So in short I'm looking for the blood mage class and everything on it. Would really like some help I already read through the D&D 4e Home brew version, but my dm wants reviews and responses from this site. Any help is appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Chris24601
Legend
Legend

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: My new class I've wanted to play for a long time   My new class I've wanted to play for a long time EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 9:06 pm

It would help to know where the stats on this blood mage class can be found so we can actually get a look at it.
Back to top Go down
WiccanAssassin
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: My new class I've wanted to play for a long time   My new class I've wanted to play for a long time EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 9:26 pm

Back to top Go down
Chris24601
Legend
Legend

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: My new class I've wanted to play for a long time   My new class I've wanted to play for a long time EmptyFri Mar 06, 2015 2:01 am

Wow... THAT is a bad class. Unless you go with covanent of chaos so you can use Intelligence for your secondary, you're going to have absolute crap AC (as in 11 to 12 for a striker). Then you've got a striker damage feature that only triggers on bloodied targets unless you do equal damage to yourself. Yes, Con is your primary, but even the 11 surges an 18 Con provides won't be enough to keep up with the damage you'll need to deal to yourself to power your striker damage feature, much less the hits you'll take due to your crappy AC.

Then throw in the horrible synergy between the covenant of chaos feature adding damage to your striker feature which increases the damage you take from activating your striker damage feature and you've got a recipe for badness and that's before you even get to the powers that are simultaneously awful for dealing the damage your striker role requires while also delivering completely overpowered control effects (encounter powers should not inflict 'save ends' conditions).

Its quite frankly a horrible class... You'd honestly be better served with a warlock and fluffing your powers as requiring blood to work and dealing damage fluffed as bleeding wounds and then maybe taking a wizard multiclass feat so you can take the bloodmage paragon path down the line.
Back to top Go down
WiccanAssassin
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: My new class I've wanted to play for a long time   My new class I've wanted to play for a long time EmptySun Mar 08, 2015 4:09 pm

well as some of them say the target doesnt have to be bloodied and some powers early on say they are bloodied at full health
Back to top Go down
Chris24601
Legend
Legend

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: My new class I've wanted to play for a long time   My new class I've wanted to play for a long time EmptyMon Mar 09, 2015 9:12 am

Sorry, but the powers are BAD. Let's actually break down how they are.

At-Wills Attack Powers
Blood Siphon: 1d6 damage for a single target striker power is ridiculously low and the temporary hit points gained do not at all scale with the amount of damage you’re going to be dealing to yourself.

Blood Control: Sliding an enemy to be adjacent to an ally is only conditionally useful with CoD build rider being the only thing that makes it even marginally useful.

Open Wounds: Barely tolerable, though you need to clarify whether your striker damage feature applies its bonus to every target or just the primary target when you cut yourself.

Arcane Spike: Barely acceptable base damage, but the rider’s damage bonus doesn’t scale +1 to damage is worthless past the first couple of levels.

Level 1 Encounter Powers
Bloodletting: Let’s you treat a target like its bloodied for your NEXT turn so you can deal your striker damage to it is marginally useful, until you realize that every other striker class gets to apply their striker damage bonus to their targets at no cost to themselves EVERY turn.

Grave Robber: Sucky damage, plus a rider effect that only triggers if this is the attack that bloodies or drops an enemy and even then only grants temp hit points equal to one of the build’s secondary stats… for an encounter power is utter crap.

Lacerate: Is an encounter power that deals ongoing damage as an EFFECT. That’s broken strong even with the fact that the base power does crap damage.

Writhe: At least this one requires a hit to do ongoing damage to the target and it dazes (save ends) and knocks the target prone as an effect. This is a DAILY power not an encounter power.

Level Daily Powers
Fountain of Blood: Okay-ish damage, but the rider effect is extremely conditional (target must be blooded before or by this attack… targets reduced to 0 are already bloodied automatically so that’s just wasted text… and makes very odd use of the saving throw mechanics (adjacent creatures are hit if they do not pass a saving throw? Is this a conversion from 1-3e?). Throw in the fact that there's no miss effect (every daily power should do something on a miss, even if its only half damage) and its just BAD.

Corrupt Blood: Okay damage with ongoing damage as a rider (though it scaling to your Con modifier instead of being static is odd), but the CoD rider is way too strong (it basically deals ongoing damage equal to your primary and secondary stat… which will be 7-8 at first level and scale up to 17-18 in epic tier… and slides the target 3-9 squares each round until they save). It is better than many paragon tier dailies and its listed as a level 1. Once again the lack of a miss effect makes this even less desirable.

Level 3 Encounter Powers
Blood Rage: Crap damage that gets boosted to about the same level as a non-striker’s encounter power damage if you or the target are bloodied (and if you are, you’re probably NOT going to want to use your striker feature to make it any better).

Mirrored Wounds: Again with the crap damage mixed with an effect that lets you do even more damage to yourself to deal the same amount to your target. This power is a blessing to your enemies.

Level 5 Daily Powers
Hemorrhage: This one is okay-ish (at least it has a miss effect), but is probably a bit low on the damage for a daily and the conditions are only ENT instead of save ends.

Life Bane Incantation: Crap damage with no miss effect which is boosted to about the damage level a heroic tier encounter attack if the target isn’t bloodied. NEVER take this.

Level 7 Encounter Powers
Blood Spray: This one would be okay for a controller, but its close blast targeting works against every other power in your arsenal (single target long range) and against your crap AC (you’re basically in range for even a slowed target to move up and smack you). It’s also in need of clarity with the striker damage feature as to whether you taking damage to apply the boost works on EVERY target or just one.

Blood Bound Command: Why is an encounter attack inflicting a save ends condition as an effect (as in whether you hit or miss)? Half the time it feels like this classes encounter powers should be its dailies and its dailies should have been the encounters… while the other half both are just bad. And yet its damage… the thing a Striker is supposed to be good at… is mediocre at best.

Level 9 Daily Powers
Bolt of Pain: Damage is okay and it has a miss effect at least, but revealing vulnerabilities is something a good knowledge check can pull off as a free action and having to spend a healing surge to deal ongoing damage to the target is possibly worse than just taking damage. And this is the ONLY level 9 choice available.

...I could go on, but you're already through Heroic tier and pretty much every power is broken bad or broken strong FOR A CONTROLLER while still being bad for a class that's role is to do damage. There's maybe two powers in that whole tier that don't require you to damage yourself to deal the base damage a striker to a non-bloodied target. The entire class is a haphazard self-defeating mess.

My recommendation is find some other striker class like a warlock and then refluff its effects as requiring superficial cutting (not enough to do any real damage) to activate their powers and their curse damage manifesting as bleeding wounds. You could also ask if you can use the 'arcane defiling' rule from Dark Sun re-fluffed as inflicting bleeding wounds on nearby creatures instead of draining life force from them.

Leaving aside all the problems with the powers, the key holes in the Blood Mage design are horrible AC and a core effect (striker damage boost) that requires you to consume daily resources to use (when every other striker gets it for free).

If you wanted to clean the thing up, I'd let the Covenant of Dominance use their Charisma in place of Dexterity or Intelligence to determine their AC and maybe even give them proficiency in leather armor... +3 secondary stat +2 for leather gets you to the base 15 AC for a striker.

Then I'd change the Blood Magic so it does a straight 1d6/tier extra damage at no cost to non-bloodied targets (fluffed as requiring superficial cuts to yourself that deal no damage) and then allow the class to burn hit points to provide an additional boost to its daily (and perhaps encounter) powers. That's still on the low-side for a striker, but at least its in the ball park.

The powers though need way more re-working than I have the time to provide (I'm working on my own system at the moment), but some things to look for... single target damage for a striker should be using d8's to d10's unless its got some super serious rider effects. Second, save ends effects do NOT belong on encounter attacks and are utterly broken when they get applied whether the encounter power hits or misses. Third, every daily power needs some sort of effect that happens on a miss, even if its only half-damage.
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet
Name: Garthanos
Class: Arcadian Knight
Race: Auld Worlder

PostSubject: Re: My new class I've wanted to play for a long time   My new class I've wanted to play for a long time EmptyTue Mar 17, 2015 2:34 pm

Thorough review Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.dyasdesigns.com/kingsmagic.html
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My new class I've wanted to play for a long time   My new class I've wanted to play for a long time Empty

Back to top Go down

My new class I've wanted to play for a long time
Page 1 of 1