4ENCLAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How to run a dangerous 13th Age game?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet
Name: Felorn Gloryaxe
Class: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

How to run a dangerous 13th Age game? Empty
PostSubject: How to run a dangerous 13th Age game?   How to run a dangerous 13th Age game? EmptySun May 11, 2014 4:27 pm

There is no doubting it, 13th Age characters are powerful/heroic. Is there anyway I can make the game seem a little more dangerous and gritty? I know it will mostly rely on playstyle but I want some of the mechanics to reflect this. What are your suggestions? I was thinking just a possible tweak on damage output from monsters and NPCs. Also possibly limiting the ability to rally.
Back to top Go down
Uskglass
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: How to run a dangerous 13th Age game?   How to run a dangerous 13th Age game? EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 12:04 pm

I normally run encounters 1 level above the baseline per tier from the core rules. This also happens to increase damage output from monsters, as well as their durability.
I like Rally as it is, as it pretty much allows to play without a dedicated healer necessarily.
What made a difference for me is when I started using the 'full heal-up' rules as they are written, so completely independent from the daily clock: it's every 4 battles (or when the GM says so) that the party gets a full heal-up, no matter how much they sleep in between. This doesn't make encounters more challenging per se, but it puts pressure on Recoveries management and adds tension to fights.
Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet
Name: Felorn Gloryaxe
Class: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

PostSubject: Re: How to run a dangerous 13th Age game?   How to run a dangerous 13th Age game? EmptyTue Aug 26, 2014 11:31 am

I thought the "full heal-up" rules were a bit wonky to begin with. But I've heard mostly good things from them. It's just hard to escape the full-rest style of things 4e implanted in my brain.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to run a dangerous 13th Age game?   How to run a dangerous 13th Age game? Empty

Back to top Go down

How to run a dangerous 13th Age game?
Page 1 of 1