4ENCLAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Beholder PC race

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
itaav
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer

Beholder PC race Empty
PostSubject: Beholder PC race   Beholder PC race EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 9:06 am

Here's my attempt at creating a playable beholder race. Please criticize.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Beholders

Psionically adept beings, whose many eyes have the ability to shoot deadly rays.

RACIAL TRAITS:
Average hight: 4' 2'' to 5' 3''
Average weight: 250 to 350 Ib.

Ability scores: +2 charisma, +2 constitution or dexterity
Size: Medium
Speed: 1, fly 6 (Altitude limit 1)
Vision: Low-Light vision

Languages: Common, Deep Speech
Skill bonuses: +2 Arcana, +2 Perception
Telekinetic Hands: You have no physical hands, instead, you can let small objects float close to you. These telekinetic hands function the same as normal hands.
Many-Eyed: Enemies only gain a +1 bonus from combat advantage when they flank you, instead of the normal +2 bonus.
Beholder Will: You gain a +1 racial bonus to will.
Aberrant Origin: Your origin is aberrant. As such, you are subject to effects that target aberrant creatures.
Eyes of the beholder: You gain Eye ray as an encounter power.

Eye Ray                                                                                                                    Beholder Racial Power
A beam of energy shoots from one of your eye stalks. Nobody can predict what will happen to those hit by it.
Encounter, Varies
Minor Action, Ranged 10
Target: One creature
Attack: Charisma, Intelligence or Wisdom +3 vs. Reflex.
11th level: Increase bonus to +6
21st level: Increase bonus to +9
Hit: 1d8 + the chosen ability modifier damage. Roll a 1d4 to determine the power's damage type and effect.
1: Fire damage, and the target must succeed on a saving throw or take 3 (6 at paragon, 9 at epic) fire damage at the start of its next turn.
2: Force damage, and you slide the target 2 squares.
3: Psychic damage, and the target takes a -2 penalty to its next attack roll.
4: Necrotic damage, and the target takes a -3 (-6 at paragon, -9 at epic) penalty to its next damage roll.
Increase damage to 2d8 + ability modifier at 11th level, and to 3d8 + ability modifier at 21th level.

Favored classes: Ardent, Battlemind, Sorcerer or Warlock.

I'll do the fluff, feats and paragon paths once I have time.

Last edited by itaav on Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
itaav
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer

Beholder PC race Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beholder PC race   Beholder PC race EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 12:25 pm

Feats:

Heroic Tier Feats:

Paragon Tier Feats:

Epic Tier Feats:

Last edited by itaav on Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:44 pm; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down
itaav
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer

Beholder PC race Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beholder PC race   Beholder PC race EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 12:25 pm

Pactless Aberration

"Why should I risk my sanity if everything I need can be found within myself?"

Prerequisites: Beholder, Warlock, Star Pact

In all beholders dwells aberrant energy. They originate when energy from the far realm influences our world, and gives birth to monstrous creatures. For most beholders, this energy is beyond their limits. They merely use a fraction of it; their eye rays. However, some manage to access these hidden power within their bodies, and can use it to great effect.
As a Pactless Aberration, how did you access your powers? What is your opinion towards other warlocks, who gain their powers from other sources? Can you control them completely, or not?

Pactless Aberration path features:

Boon to thyself (11th level): When an enemy under your warlock's curse drops to 0 hit points or below, you can forgo gaining the benefits of your pact boon, and instead regain hit points equal to 10 + your intelligence modifier.
Self-draining action (11th level): When you spend an action point to make an attack, you can deal any amount of necrotic and psychic damage to yourself, up to your healing surge value. If the attack hits, one target of the attack that was hit takes extra damage equal to twice the amount of damage you dealt to yourself.
Protect the core (16th level): When you are hit by an attack against your will defense or an attack that deals psychic damage, you gain a +2 power bonus to all defenses and resist 20 psychic until the end of your next turn.

Pactless Aberration powers:

Gather the Power                                                                                                Pactless Aberration attack 11
As your opponent is struck by your ray of pure energy, you search within yourself for more power.
Encounter, Arcane, Implement, Psychic
Standard Action, Ranged 20
Target: One creature
Attack: Charisma or Constitution vs. Will
Hit: 2d10 + Charisma or Constitution modifier psychic damage.
Effect: Your next attack before the end of the encounter deals an extra 1d10 damage.

Outburst of Energy                                                                                             Pactless Aberration utility 12
The slumbering energy within you awakens, and in an act of self-perservation, you send an eye ray at the enemy that dared to strike you.
Daily, Arcane
Immediate Interrupt, Close burst 10
Trigger: An enemy in burst bloodies you.
Target: The triggering enemy in burst.
Effect: Make an eye ray attack against the enemy, even if you have already expended it. The attack does not provoke opportunity attacks.

Transcend the flesh                                                                                            Pactless Aberration attack 20
Your body is not enough to contain the energy within it, and you know it. By abandoning it for a short amount of time, you truly become something more than a simple pactmaker.        
Daily, Arcane, Implement, Psychic
Standard Action, Close burst 5
Target: Enemies in burst
Attack: Charisma or Constitution vs. Will
Hit: 3d8 + Charisma or Constitution modifier psychic damage, and the target is pushed 1 square.
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, you are insubstantial, have resist 15 psychic, and whenever you hit an enemy with an attack that targets will, you also push it 1 square.

---------------------------------

Eye Ray Knight

"Only by seeing past bodily differences, one can truly find peace and work together".

Prerequisites: Beholder, Good or Lawful Good, Eye Ray power

Long ago, a traveling group of beholder monks, who had overcome their races natural xenophobia, stumbled upon a small village that was under attack by orcs. The moment that it looked like the village would be destroyed, a barrage of eye rays came down upon the orcs, forcing them to divert their attention from the village. The villagers then attacked the retreating orcs, killing most of them. The beholders and humans decided to protect the village together, and the village became great and powerful, ruled by humans and beholders together. Nobody knows what has happened to the village, but according to the legends, it still can be found somewhere to the far east, far beyond the horizon.

Eye Ray Knight path features:

Distracting eye ray (11th level): The target of your Eye Ray power is also marked by you until the end of your next turn. In addition, you never provoke an opportunity attack when you use Eye Ray.

Attention-Calling Action (11th level): When you spend an action point to take an extra action, you mark each enemy adjacent to you until the end of your next turn.

Together We Fight (16th level): You gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls against enemies adjacent to both you and your allies.

POWERS COMING SOON

Last edited by itaav on Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:01 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet
Name: Felorn Gloryaxe
Class: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

Beholder PC race Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beholder PC race   Beholder PC race EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 2:17 pm

So far it seems pretty good and balanced.

Telekinetic Hand though... I could see myself having way to much fun with that. Just like I did with my dwarfs summoned armor (snaps his fingers and he is naked).

The hardest part with this race would be going into towns or just talking to people in general. But I could see it being fun.

I wouldn't mind playing a Beholder Fighter now.
Back to top Go down
itaav
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer

Beholder PC race Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beholder PC race   Beholder PC race EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 2:19 pm

Telekinetic hands is just to make sure that people don't say: "This makes no sense. How can I be wielding a two-handed axe if I don't even have hands? Grumble Grumble  Mad "
Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet
Name: Felorn Gloryaxe
Class: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

Beholder PC race Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beholder PC race   Beholder PC race EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 2:21 pm

itaav wrote:
Telekinetic hands is just to make sure that people don't say: "This makes no sense. How can I be wielding a two-handed axe if I don't even have hands? Grumble Grumble  Mad "

No. I understand the need for it. But I'm just saying I would have too much fun. I would try my hardest to extend my range (possible feat?) and mess with people allied with ghost sound.
Back to top Go down
itaav
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer

Beholder PC race Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beholder PC race   Beholder PC race EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 2:21 pm

I'm working on feats right now, and I might make it a paragon or epic tier feat.
Back to top Go down
skwyd42
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
skwyd42

Character sheet
Name: Alain Smith IV
Class: Vampire
Race: Half-Elf

Beholder PC race Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beholder PC race   Beholder PC race EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 3:34 pm

This is really cool! It seems pretty balanced with other races. I like the variety in the feats so far. I'm curious about your ideas for racial paragon paths.

Obviously the issue of social-interaction would be a difficult one. But that's true of just about any monster-as-PC race. I think in Eberron it would be the easiest to explain.

Of course, there's no need to explain why beholders can be a playable race. That's up to the DM of the campaign being run. And if the DM doesn't want to explain why beholders can be a playable race then that DM simply doesn't allow it in their campaign.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing how this continues to develop!
Back to top Go down
itaav
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer

Beholder PC race Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beholder PC race   Beholder PC race EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 2:06 am

I already have an idea for two paragon paths.
The first will be open for all nongood beholders, and it will give you the ability to command some enslaved servants.
The second is only for beholder warlocks with the star pact, and it is mainly about using the aberrant energies that dwell in each beholder, rather then making a pact with a far realm entity.
I'll also try to make one that is available to all beholders, but I don't have many ideas for that now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Beholder PC race Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beholder PC race   Beholder PC race Empty

Back to top Go down

Beholder PC race
Page 1 of 1