4ENCLAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps

Go down 
+4
CHIA
thanson02
Garthanos
Kilgorin
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kilgorin
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps Empty
PostSubject: Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps   Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 7:30 pm

Hi guys,

I recently downloaded the old Offline Character Builder and updated it with CBLoader. I'm doing this in preparation for WoTC removing their online tools. I want to be able to keep using a builder.

My main issue, is that when trying to use the dnd4e files that come out of the Offline Character Builder with some of the apps I could use at the table (iplay4e or 4eMetro) I don't get the details of my powers.

I know exactly why this is, but I'm wondering if anyone on the forums here has figured out a way to fix it.

Basically, the dnd4e file is just xml, but the definition of the power in the offline builder doesn't include all the details that the dnd4e files of the online builder has.

Any ideas/suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet
Name: Garthanos
Class: Arcadian Knight
Race: Auld Worlder

PostSubject: Re: Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps   Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 8:09 pm

None here I only use the CBLoader those other apps would have to import the new content that was put in to it...ie from the part files.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dyasdesigns.com/kingsmagic.html
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps   Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 3:20 pm

I would lobby those other apps creators for the ability to import part files...

Which would allow me to use my custom data.
Back to top Go down
Kilgorin
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps   Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 7:28 am

I couldn't find anything, so I'm working on a little python program that goes through a desktop character builder saved character file and scrapes the .main file from the character builder to add more details.
Back to top Go down
thanson02
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
thanson02

Character sheet
Name: thanson02
Class: Monk
Race: Human

PostSubject: Re: Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps   Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 6:56 am

Just refreshing my memory, why hasn't anyone developed an updated offline CB? I remember there was a reason, but I'm spacing right now on what it is.
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps   Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps EmptyTue Dec 17, 2013 5:46 pm

thanson02 wrote:
Just refreshing my memory, why hasn't anyone developed an updated offline CB?  I remember there was a reason, but I'm spacing right now on what it is.

The app CBloader does that... assuming you get or make the XML which loads the latest info.
Back to top Go down
CHIA
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
CHIA

PostSubject: Re: Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps   Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps EmptyTue Dec 17, 2013 8:01 pm

Garthanos wrote:
None here I only use the CBLoader those other apps would have to import the new content that was put in to it...ie from the part files.

Same.
Back to top Go down
cyvaris
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
cyvaris

PostSubject: Re: Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps   Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 10:36 am

Having just got a Surface Tablet for Christmas....yeah we need an app that brings the .part files over. Solutions I found involve either exporting my character file as a PDF (then drawing/writing on it) or using just adding notes to powers in the "Character Viewer" app I downloaded.

Both solutions...work, but not wonderfully.
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps   Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 3:00 pm

For the folk who make those apps it oughtnt be that difficult to port part file content. Are any of the apps in question open source (I have some programming skills - and familiarity with the Android environment)
Back to top Go down
cyvaris
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
cyvaris

PostSubject: Re: Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps   Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 9:50 am

I'm using the "Character Viewer" from the Microsoft App store. I really like how clean the app looks. It's nice and simple. Sure it doesn't load the "details" of .part powers but I can add notes to the powers so I have that in there.

Link to the app:
http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/0dbe919b-49fd-4491-8e9f-be7018cf90ca

Again, being on a Surface RT limits the apps I can run, but anyone have suggestions for other apps?
Back to top Go down
skwyd42
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
skwyd42

Character sheet
Name: Alain Smith IV
Class: Vampire
Race: Half-Elf

PostSubject: Re: Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps   Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 1:00 pm

At my table we've made single page "cheat sheets" that summarize everything for a character into a single page (sometimes double sided for higher level Paragon Tier). With clever use of abbreviations, you can fit most powers onto 2 lines of text. Any racial or class abilities are summarized into about 3 lines. And it gives everyone what they need at a glance (arranged however they want) without having to sift through piles of paper or "flip" through various virtual screens to find what they are looking to use. Every keeps the multiple page print out of their full character sheet (from the offline builder) handy so if there are details they need to find, they can look it up when it isn't their turn. Overall, it works really well.

I like it because I think the first two sheets of the offline builder are very poorly formatted and difficult to navigate.
Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet
Name: Felorn Gloryaxe
Class: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

PostSubject: Re: Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps   Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 9:16 pm

Is there a way you can save a .dnd4e file as a PDF character sheet?
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps   Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 5:09 am

skwyd42 wrote:
At my table we've made single page "cheat sheets" that summarize everything for a character into a single page (sometimes double sided for higher level Paragon Tier). With clever use of abbreviations, you can fit most powers onto 2 lines of text. Any racial or class abilities are summarized into about 3 lines. And it gives everyone what they need at a glance (arranged however they want) without having to sift through piles of paper or "flip" through various virtual screens to find what they are looking to use. Every keeps the multiple page print out of their full character sheet (from the offline builder) handy so if there are details they need to find, they can look it up when it isn't their turn. Overall, it works really well.
got examples you can post ?
Back to top Go down
Generic Fighter
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
Generic Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps   Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 8:32 am

Felorn,
You can use a Virtual Printer Program to "Print" the Sheet as a PDF instead of on paper. I use CutePDF myself.

GF
Back to top Go down
http://genericfighter.blogspot.com/
cyvaris
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
cyvaris

PostSubject: Re: Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps   Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 11:35 am

Generic Fighter wrote:
Felorn,
You can use a Virtual Printer Program to "Print" the Sheet as a PDF instead of on paper. I use CutePDF myself.

GF

I do the same. Make them "editable" and they work rather well as a digital character sheet.
Back to top Go down
Kilgorin
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps   Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 5:18 pm

Ok, so I finished it.

I created a program that adds all the details you need to the .dnd4e character file you generate with the desktop character builder.  It should even be able to handle custom powers/feats that you create with CBLoader.

You guys want to try it?

Edit: You need to have CBLoader installed as a prerequesite
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps   Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 6:47 pm

What apps is it compatible with?
Back to top Go down
Kilgorin
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps   Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 9:54 pm

Garthanos wrote:
What apps is it compatible with?

I'm not sure what you mean. It's a stand alone app that you config to look at your CBLoader main file. You load your dnd4e character into it, and it fills in all the details in your powers, loot, and feats.

I tested the output files with iPlay4e and the Win 8 app 4e Metro.
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps   Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 10:33 pm

Kilgorin wrote:

I tested the output files with iPlay4e and the Win 8 app 4e Metro.
Those were what I was talking about...

I havent had the ddi subscription for a while and some of the apps out there seemed very dependent on it.
Back to top Go down
Generic Fighter
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
Generic Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps   Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 11:19 pm

Kilgorin,
I'm willing to be a Guinea Pig for this. Upload it and post a Linky-Link, and I'll give it a go.

GF
Back to top Go down
http://genericfighter.blogspot.com/
Kilgorin
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps   Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 6:54 am

Ok, I think this link will work.  Let me know if it doesn't.

Character Detail Adder

Once you unrar the file, there's an InstallInstructions.txt file.  Open that up and follow the instructions to get going.

Also, please give me some feedback. Let me know if it works, if it doesn't, and if you need help getting it going. Of course, thanks and praise is also welcome. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cyvaris
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
cyvaris

PostSubject: Re: Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps   Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 7:28 am

When I try to run app.cfg I get a "windows can't run this" error message.
Back to top Go down
Kilgorin
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps   Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 7:30 am

app.cfg just a text file. Try opening it in notepad or wordpad.
Back to top Go down
cyvaris
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
cyvaris

PostSubject: Re: Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps   Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 9:37 am

Thanks.

Certainly showing my......non-techy ness with that comment eh?

Still not getting it exactly.

Here is where my files are
C:\Program Files (x86)\Wizards of the Coast\Character Builder\combinded.dnd40

So should I change the first line in the app.cfg to that?
Back to top Go down
Kilgorin
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps   Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 10:50 am

That's ok. Do you have CBLoader installed? You're going to need that. You should be able to get it here, but someone else might have a better link.

When you install that, it'll extract all the rules/powers/feats to its own directory. The sample in the file is more likely to lead you to what the program is looking for. When I look in my Character Builder install directory, I see a file called 'combined.dnd40.encrypted', which is encrypted (surprise). You're looking for one called 'combined.dnd40'. That's what the program is looking for.

For example, mine would be in: C:\Users\Kilgorin\AppData\Roaming\CBLoader.

If you don't see a directory called AppData, once you get to your user directory, just click in the URL bar at the top and add \AppData, and you should see more directories. That's how it is in Win 7 and 8. I can't remember if that was in XP or not.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps   Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps Empty

Back to top Go down

Desktop Character Builder and Gaming Apps
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next