4ENCLAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e?

Go down 
+10
thanson02
CHIA
skwyd42
Fjw70
seti
Scrivener of Doom
Kronides
ToeSama
Felorn Gloryaxe
Garthanos
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet
Name: Garthanos
Class: Arcadian Knight
Race: Auld Worlder

What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e? Empty
PostSubject: What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e?   What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e? EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 2:22 pm

I am going to vote for a setting that I haven't even played in called Birthright but mostly because it correlates with some development I have been considering with regards to Martial Practices and Blood-Line Practices and Oath magics and similar coolness
Back to top Go down
http://www.dyasdesigns.com/kingsmagic.html
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e?   What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e? EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 2:23 pm

What are peoples favorite setting that has been done for 4e. I am going with Dark-Sun.
Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet
Name: Felorn Gloryaxe
Class: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

PostSubject: Re: What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e?   What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e? EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 4:23 pm

I wanted either Planescape, Ravenloft, or Dragonlance for 4e. And my favorite 4e settings was the core setting. I thought the others except Eberron were just a joke. I've never like Dark Sun and they really messed with FR (Which I'm not a big fan of to begin with anyway).

Birthright would've been cool to see since it's one of the few D&D settings that isn't tailored for lots of dungeon crawls.
Back to top Go down
ToeSama
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
ToeSama

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e?   What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e? EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 4:52 pm

Favorite done is Eberron. Technomancy is freaking awesome Smile

Favorite undone would have been Darksun, but then they did it XD. I'd probably say Ghostwalk (the ghost rules from Dragon were clunky and often obtuse, so I don't count them in any way).
Back to top Go down
Kronides
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e?   What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e? EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 11:36 pm

Dragonlance would definately be a great campaign if it was done properly. Having seen what they did to 4E with Essentials and the fiasco that is online CB etc, it is not likely they could do the job properly.
Back to top Go down
Scrivener of Doom
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
Scrivener of Doom

PostSubject: Re: What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e?   What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e? EmptyWed Oct 09, 2013 9:05 am

I would love to have seen Midnight given a full 4E treatment. I've got all the 3.xE products but never got around to running it, sadly. Ditto for Dawnforge... although I actually think Dawnforge might work better in 13th Age.

Anyway, both of those are FFG rather than WotC. For a WotC setting I would have loved to have seen Birthright. I've never run a game there or even tried but it does look like an interesting setting, and one of its primary authors was my favourite game designer, Rich Baker.

As much as I enjoyed and am enjoying the 4E Realms, I would have loved to have seen a 4E treatment of the OGB or even the late 3.5E years. Of course, I would also have loved for the 4E Realms to have been published with a good map but that's not the point of this thread....

Back to top Go down
seti
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer
seti

Character sheet
Name: seti
Class: warden
Race: hedgehog

PostSubject: Re: What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e?   What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e? EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 7:13 am

I wanted (wished) they'd have put out a new campaign setting...Maybe something like a water world; lots of islands/archipelagos and underwater ruins in shallow seas stretching for miles. And more fully realized ship navigation and ship to ship combat rules. Basically, a lot like a world I made up (well, not completely, obviously...Water Worlds have been done by many other DMs, I'm sure) , and used with 4e for a few years.

I was really glad they put out Dark Sun. I wished 3/3.5 had Dark Sun...But Eberron was cool.

PlaneScape would have been great, too. And, I really thought they'd do it...Sigil was teasingly mentioned several times in early 4e releases. As you can tell, I like the 'weird' campaign worlds. Not that I have anything against FR, DragonLance, or Tolkien (Quite the opposite, those three things got me into D&D, and the PnPRPG hobby in the first place.) but, nowadays I prefer unconventional fantasy.

Flumph
Back to top Go down
Scrivener of Doom
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
Scrivener of Doom

PostSubject: Re: What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e?   What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e? EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 8:34 am

seti wrote:
I wanted (wished) they'd have put out a new campaign setting...Maybe something like a water world; lots of islands/archipelagos and underwater ruins in shallow seas stretching for miles. And more fully realized ship navigation and ship to ship combat rules. Basically, a lot like a world I made up (well, not completely, obviously...Water Worlds have been done by many other DMs, I'm sure) , and used with 4e for a few years. (snip)
I thought Chris Perkins did a rather good job with Io'mandra. I sometimes looked at those maps and thought about running a campaign there....
Back to top Go down
Fjw70
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e?   What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e? EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 10:30 am

I love the Nentir Vale. All of my 4e campaigns were in or around the Vale.
Back to top Go down
seti
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer
seti

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e?   What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e? EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 1:03 am

Io'Mandra did seem cool. I didn't read much about it, but I remember his maps, and reading about the campaign, back when WotC was still all about 4e.

Mine had a different direction; most Islands were independent, and there were even floating villages made from boats, logs, etc. lashed together. The planet had no ice caps, as they melted long ago. There were areas where the 'sea' was only 3-30 feet deep for 100's of miles. Ruined cities were just under the surface, taller stone buildings poke up from the water. It was a world, much like Athas of Dark Sun, where a colossal catastrophe took place. But instead of drying out, the opposite happened. Too much water, lol.
It was cool to run, partly because it was easy to break up Tiers. heroic tier = one Island. Paragon Tier = several islands, and the PC's owning a ship. Epic Tier = rediscovering of ancient tech, airships, more steampunky, cloud cities that most people had no idea were up there, etc. I didn't do any planar travel stuff.
Back to top Go down
Scrivener of Doom
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
Scrivener of Doom

PostSubject: Re: What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e?   What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e? EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 2:04 am

Have you read 50 Fathoms for Savage Worlds?
Back to top Go down
seti
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer
seti

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e?   What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e? EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 2:26 am

Nope...Just googled it. Sounds interesting, and at least superficially similar to what I was doing with 4e for about 2 years. My chief inspirations were a little known late 80's/early 90's cartoon called "Dark Water", that pretty bad Kevin Costner movie 'Water World", several jRPG video games, and a summer in college I spent in Greece.

I am not familiar with the Savage Worlds rules, though...Might look for a pdf to read.

Last edited by seti on Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Scrivener of Doom
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
Scrivener of Doom

PostSubject: Re: What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e?   What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e? EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 2:37 am

Pretty bad? Actually, I enjoyed Water World and never understood why it attracted such hatred. Ditto for John Carter.

Oh well, I didn't enjoy the second Christopher Nolan Batman movie and openly avoided the third so maybe I just have bad taste? Smile

Back to top Go down
seti
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer
seti

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e?   What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e? EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 2:49 am

I actually liked John Carter too....I looked at it this way: It was better, IMO, than Star Wars Episode One...(phantom menace) And, it really reminded me of Dark Sun...Even those tribal martians were like non-insectoid Thri-Kreen Smile

I thought Water World had a great backdrop...the script and acting just...seemed weak, even for a sci-fi/fantasy style movie. I think it got hate because people expected more from Kostner...he was A list then. ALso, the budget problems it had. They spent like 3 times what they made.
Back to top Go down
Scrivener of Doom
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
Scrivener of Doom

PostSubject: Re: What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e?   What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e? EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 3:02 am

Oh yeah, it was definitely better than Episode One.

Ahhh, George Lucas. He's the R A Salvatore of the movie world, just a parody of his former self. No, it's the other way around. Ahhh, R A Salvatore. He's the George Lucas of the shared world novels world, just a parody of his former self. Smile
Back to top Go down
Fjw70
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e?   What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e? EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 7:13 am

I haven't seen Water World or John Carter but they must be really good since a Episode 1 was a really good movie. I will have to check them out.
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e?   What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e? EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 8:46 am

John Carter not bad poorly advertised.
Back to top Go down
skwyd42
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
skwyd42

Character sheet
Name: Alain Smith IV
Class: Vampire
Race: Half-Elf

PostSubject: Re: What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e?   What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e? EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 5:06 pm

I would love to have seen Ravenloft get the full treatment like Eberron, Forgotten Realms, and Dark Sun. There was a little "splash" in the Gloomwrought boxed set (which I like and am currently using) that had the feel of Ravenloft, but it isn't the same.

I didn't think much of Eberron when it first came out in 3.x because it seemed like poorly done steampunk. But once I got more into it (and had a friend that really liked it) I enjoyed it more. There are many aspects about Eberron that I like.

I've never played in or run a Dark Sun campaign. But I intend to. If my current Paragon Tier campaign goes well I will follow up with a Dark Sun Epic Tier campaign where the PCs will be working with a prophecy of an ancient god that survived the Dawn War with the Primordials but has been dormant since then. The PCs may work to fulfill the prophecy and bring this god back to Athas or they may work against the prophecy, trying to stop those that are attempting to fulfill it. It will ultimately be up to them.

Forgotten Realms was never that interesting to me. There seemed to be just too many personalities to remember. And the "high-magic" feel to it was just not what I liked. I did like the Neverwinter Campaign setting book, though.
Back to top Go down
seti
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer
seti

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e?   What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e? EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 7:15 pm

Back in the day, RAS's and Weiss/Hickman's books got me into D&D...I was reading them in the late 80's in middle school. I loved their stuff.

Just for nostalgia's sake, I picked up an RAS book a few years ago, and didn't like it. Not sure if it's because his quality has gone down, or if I'm just a grown up now, and like my books to be more 'adult'.

Probably both.
Back to top Go down
CHIA
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
CHIA

PostSubject: Re: What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e?   What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e? EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 8:06 pm

Birthright. And not because of GoT, I always thought BR was interesting but never got the chance to use it.
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e?   What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e? EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 9:21 pm

CHIA wrote:
Birthright. And not because of GoT, I always thought BR was interesting but never got the chance to use it.
I'm sort of new to the Birthright setting but find it very intriguing how can you miss with something like Highlander and Arthurian/Classic Celtic Royalty all pleasantly smashed together.  When I first seen it years ago the 3 month turn concept was a enough of a put off that I didnt look too close, I have subsequently changed my mind although I am finding myself more inclined to head back to its roots.
Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet
Name: Felorn Gloryaxe
Class: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

PostSubject: Re: What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e?   What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e? EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 10:10 am

Garthanos wrote:
CHIA wrote:
I'm sort of new to the Birthright setting but find it very intriguing how can you miss with something like Highlander and Arthurian/Classic Celtic Royalty all pleasantly smashed together.  When I first seen it years ago the 3 month turn concept was a enough of a put off that I didnt look too close, I have subsequently changed my mind although I am finding myself more inclined to head back to its roots.

I would like to try Birthright myself. Though there is no way that could ever work with my current group. The Roleplaying aspect of the setting would end before it started. Their entire idea of negotiating is killing. I''m hoping to change that tune in the upcoming game I'm running.
Back to top Go down
thanson02
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
thanson02

Character sheet
Name: thanson02
Class: Monk
Race: Human

PostSubject: Re: What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e?   What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e? EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 3:18 pm

Felorn Gloryaxe wrote:
I wanted either Planescape, Ravenloft, or Dragonlance for 4e. And my favorite 4e settings was the core setting. I thought the others except Eberron were just a joke. I've never like Dark Sun and they really messed with FR (Which I'm not a big fan of to begin with anyway).

I am in agreement on this one.  Planescape would have been awesome and it would have been a nice way to introduce different cosmology models into the system.  For Ravenloft, I know there was a discussion on the WotC website on this and most people felt that Ravenloft was either in the Shadowfell or a pocket plane off of the Shadowfell.  Either way, the rule additions such as for basic firearms would have been nice.  And then Dragonlance.  Enough said.  Smile

I have not played enough Eberron or Dark Sun to have a opinion on those, I work primarily with Forgotten Realms.
Back to top Go down
skwyd42
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
skwyd42

Character sheet
Name: Alain Smith IV
Class: Vampire
Race: Half-Elf

PostSubject: Re: What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e?   What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e? EmptySat Jan 25, 2014 7:35 pm

Another thing I would like to have seen is one of the other campaign worlds that WotC kept from their contest years ago (the one that brought about Eberron). From what I had heard, there were 3 final campaign settings that they felt were the best. Eberron won the contest and was published and the other two were allegedly "put aside for future development". It would have been great to see one (or both) of them developed. Honestly, I'd just like to see what they are.
Back to top Go down
Durriken
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
Durriken

Character sheet
Name: Durriken
Class: Disestablishmentarian
Race: Green dragon

PostSubject: Re: What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e?   What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e? EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 3:34 pm

If we are talk published 4e settings I prefer the Points of Light/Nentir Vale. It has just enough basis and published material that you can run with it without have to invent maps and things, but plenty of open space for you to make it your own.
Eberron seem neat on first glance, but it would never suit a lower magic campaign. And some of the "magic tech" goes a little far for me. I do like the Eberron pantheon better though. And I much prefer the Eberron drow.
Dark Sun seem okay, having skimmed the campaign guide. It's really design for a more survivalist game than high fantasy. I could see it being fun, would rather play than dm it.
Forgotten Realms has always been so... Forgotten Realms. There's just some much stuff that my creativity feel stifled. As a player and DM. There are some many personalities already there... And so many of the LFR adventure have such an errand boy feel to them. There's just to much lore to deal with.
So I steal some things from Eberron that I like, some ideas from Dark Sun. Place them neatly in the POL and go from there, with the Realms most decidedly forgotten.

I've never been up to creating everything from scratch. I never played Birthright or Planescape, and I always view dragonlance as something like Forgotten Realms, where you play second fiddle to the personalities already in the setting. I played some of Ravenloft back in 1e, but that was so long ago I don't have a good sense of it.

TjD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e?   What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e? Empty

Back to top Go down

What is peoples favorite un-done setting for 4e?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next