4ENCLAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Doing more or less with Healing Surges

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet
Name: Garthanos
Class: Arcadian Knight
Race: Auld Worlder

Doing more or less with Healing Surges Empty
PostSubject: Doing more or less with Healing Surges   Doing more or less with Healing Surges EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 9:10 am

Healing surges are one of those cool features from 4e that seem a bit under used. Gradually over the course of the game they showed up fueling items and martial practices and similar things.

At some level I would be tempted to merge them with dailies to simplify things so that digging deep for heroic reserves mentioned in Martial Dailies for instance came out of a singular pool. Some have complained that it seemed like characters had too many hs but if you actually used them for more things both offensive and defensive then the number might not be as much of an issue.

I actually like there use in Martial Practices and wish that had been explored more... as well.

Back to top Go down
http://www.dyasdesigns.com/kingsmagic.html
ToeSama
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
ToeSama

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Doing more or less with Healing Surges   Doing more or less with Healing Surges EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 9:33 am

Vampire would be a start to look for inspiration, as many of their abilities were able t be fueled by dumping surges into them.

I'm not keen on the idea of having powers take surges to use, but I do entertain the idea of using surges to recover powers faster (akin to Surge recharge items), or make powers stronger (ala vampire).
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Doing more or less with Healing Surges   Doing more or less with Healing Surges EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 9:52 am

On a related note another thing that was popular was the magic item which enabled the spending of hit points to increase your attack damage by a related amount ... I actually re-flavored the enchanted variously from a symbiote to an ability to over exert once self for instance with grandmaster training called a sacrifice move. (Gotta love abstract hit points.)

Vampires do indeed seem to have an interesting dynamic (a shame they were such a locked down singularity).
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Doing more or less with Healing Surges   Doing more or less with Healing Surges EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 9:57 am

Bloodmages I like to flavor as the Witchcraft of "Thrice fold returns" you are in effect spending your luck to empower your casting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Doing more or less with Healing Surges   Doing more or less with Healing Surges Empty

Back to top Go down

Doing more or less with Healing Surges
Page 1 of 1