4ENCLAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

4e Books That Should Have Been

Go down 
+13
cyvaris
Chris24601
Garthanos
Scrivener of Doom
frothsof
Duskweaver
doctorbadwolf
Pashalik
AbdulAlhazred
Janx_14
CHIA
herrozerro
Felorn Gloryaxe
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet
Name: Garthanos
Class: Arcadian Knight
Race: Auld Worlder

4e Books That Should Have Been - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4e Books That Should Have Been   4e Books That Should Have Been - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 4:58 am

My PHB has a Warlord in it ... nuff said.cherry 

Back to top Go down
http://www.dyasdesigns.com/kingsmagic.html
Scrivener of Doom
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
Scrivener of Doom

PostSubject: Re: 4e Books That Should Have Been   4e Books That Should Have Been - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 5:00 am

Mine too.

I would also like one with the errata that I can point new players toward. Smile
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4e Books That Should Have Been   4e Books That Should Have Been - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 5:13 am

Sure (though right now C4 isnt bad as far as that goes)

WOTC can be heavy handed or even backwards with their errata at times... they seemed inclined to nerf 2 things instead of enhance one OR they enhance something over-powered so that it now also has more flavor. Somewhere in there something went wrong.

At low levels the numbers start out so you are really 2 or 3 higher than the monsters so that the DM can use more than 1 level of monster.. then over the course of levels that fades ... doesnt sound like an error to me. At high level arguably you dont want the characters to only be fighting the very highest bad guys (a very restricted cast eh)
Back to top Go down
Scrivener of Doom
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
Scrivener of Doom

PostSubject: Re: 4e Books That Should Have Been   4e Books That Should Have Been - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 5:24 am

Garthanos wrote:
(snip)At low levels the numbers start out so you are really 2 or 3 higher than the monsters so that the DM can use more than 1 level of monster.. then over the course of levels that fades ... doesnt sound like an error to me. At high level arguably you dont want the characters to only be fighting the very highest bad guys (a very restricted cast eh)
Those are some really good points.
Back to top Go down
Chris24601
Legend
Legend

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: 4e Books That Should Have Been   4e Books That Should Have Been - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 6:47 am

Scrivener of Doom wrote:
Garthanos wrote:
(snip)At low levels the numbers start out so you are really 2 or 3 higher than the monsters so that the DM can use more than 1 level of monster.. then over the course of levels that fades ... doesnt sound like an error to me. At high level arguably you dont want the characters to only be fighting the very highest bad guys (a very restricted cast eh)
Indeed they are. One thing that kind of helps point out this strategy is that in the first Monster Manual, the highest level standard monster is level 26. A level 26's attacks and defenses are, obviously, about 4 points behind a level 30 monster... not coincidentally the exact same attack shortfall as players from the PHB1 (i.e. no expertise feats) would have over the course of leveling up to 30 (i.e. +15 level, +5 stat bumps, +6 weapon = +26). A level 26 would also have fewer hit points and so would drop faster (i.e. less 'padded sumo').

So really, the 'math problem' wasn't so much of a problem, they just explained how high level encounters should be built really badly (the presumption of using equal level foes as at lower levels doesn't carry through to high levels) and screwed up the elites and solos by initially also giving them improved defenses and giving solos way too many hit points.
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4e Books That Should Have Been   4e Books That Should Have Been - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 7:15 am

Chris24601 wrote:
Scrivener of Doom wrote:
Garthanos wrote:
Indeed they are. One thing that kind of helps point out this strategy is that in the first Monster Manual, the highest level standard monster is level 26. A level 26's attacks and defenses are, obviously, about 4 points behind a level 30 monster... not coincidentally the exact same attack shortfall as players from the PHB1 (i.e. no expertise feats) would have over the course of leveling up to 30 (i.e. +15 level, +5 stat bumps, +6 weapon = +26). A level 26 would also have fewer hit points and so would drop faster (i.e. less 'padded sumo').

So really, the 'math problem' wasn't so much of a problem, they just explained how high level encounters should be built really badly (the presumption of using equal level foes as at lower levels doesn't carry through to high levels) and screwed up the elites and solos by initially also giving them improved defenses and giving solos way too many hit points.
Perhaps giving solos insufficient capability of dealing with being frozen out by conditions belongs in there.
Back to top Go down
Chris24601
Legend
Legend

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: 4e Books That Should Have Been   4e Books That Should Have Been - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 10:47 am

Garthanos wrote:
Perhaps giving solos insufficient capability of dealing with being frozen out by conditions belongs in there.
A part of me wonders if the improved defenses (which in previous editions would have corresponded to improved saves vs. conditions) weren't a part of the original mitigation plan that just didn't work as intended because it made everything harder to hit which, combined with hit point bloat, led to smacking big sacks of ineffective hit points.

So yes, I think that was definitely an issue as well.
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4e Books That Should Have Been   4e Books That Should Have Been - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 10:56 am

If your big bad can perform several standard actions or make more than one move.. loosing one of them is less of a deal. (require slightly different wording in various areas)
Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet
Name: Felorn Gloryaxe
Class: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

PostSubject: Re: 4e Books That Should Have Been   4e Books That Should Have Been - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 4:16 pm

A PHB with errata.... Well, we can all dream.
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4e Books That Should Have Been   4e Books That Should Have Been - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 5:49 am

Felorn Gloryaxe wrote:
Oh I admit I would be tempted to buy such a thing, even though I consider a lot of the errata a bit heavy handed.
Back to top Go down
cyvaris
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
cyvaris

PostSubject: Re: 4e Books That Should Have Been   4e Books That Should Have Been - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 6:20 am

Felorn Gloryaxe wrote:
It would be nice....but I like my first edition, day one, copies of my 4e books.
Back to top Go down
seti
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer
seti

Character sheet
Name: seti
Class: warden
Race: hedgehog

PostSubject: Re: 4e Books That Should Have Been   4e Books That Should Have Been - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 6:50 am

I'd have loved a DMG3, focusing on epic play, as the OP mentioned.
A 'Heroes of the Astral Sea' (If for nothing else that to finish the 'Heroes of...' series).
I would have also loved a book focused on rituals.
I wanted them to do more 'Power 2' books...They made a Martial Power 2, but no psionic 2, arcane 2, etc.
Lastly, another Monster Vault with the cardboard tokens would have been something I'd have bought on release date.

As this is my first post, I'd like to say "Hi" and I'm glad I found this forum...I hope it's active, and stays active for years. Some of you here my recognize my name from WotC's forums. If so, cool. Then you probably already hate me. Wink

Wow. This is one of the best things I've seen in a while: Flumph A Flumph emoticon.

EDIT: I cannot believe I forgot this...A 4e Unearthed Arcana! That would have been great...

Last edited by seti on Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4e Books That Should Have Been   4e Books That Should Have Been - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 6:54 am

Ritual Book could indeed be fun and welcome... they lack the hiding under chair emoticon but maybe we wont need it.
Back to top Go down
Scrivener of Doom
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
Scrivener of Doom

PostSubject: Re: 4e Books That Should Have Been   4e Books That Should Have Been - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 8:33 am

Welcome, seti, and, yes, Unearthed Arcana 4E would have been cool... especially with Character Builder support for those of us not smart enough to get CBLoader to work.... Smile
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Name: Admin
Class: Admin
Race: Immortal Astral Being

PostSubject: Re: 4e Books That Should Have Been   4e Books That Should Have Been - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 11:37 am

Garthanos wrote:
Ritual Book could indeed be fun and welcome... they lack the hiding under chair emoticon but maybe we wont need it.
It will be done.
Back to top Go down
https://4enclave.forumotion.com
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Name: Admin
Class: Admin
Race: Immortal Astral Being

PostSubject: Re: 4e Books That Should Have Been   4e Books That Should Have Been - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 11:39 am

Hide 
Back to top Go down
https://4enclave.forumotion.com
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4e Books That Should Have Been   4e Books That Should Have Been - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 12:29 pm

heh
Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4e Books That Should Have Been   4e Books That Should Have Been - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 1:47 pm

seti wrote:
I'd have loved a DMG3, focusing on epic play, as the OP mentioned.
A 'Heroes of the Astral Sea' (If for nothing else that to finish the 'Heroes of...' series).
I would have also loved a book focused on rituals.
I wanted them to do more 'Power 2' books...They made a Martial Power 2, but no psionic 2, arcane 2, etc.
Lastly, another Monster Vault with the cardboard tokens would have been something I'd have bought on release date.

As this is my first post, I'd like to say "Hi" and I'm glad I found this forum...I hope it's active, and stays active for years. Some of you here my recognize my name from WotC's forums. If so, cool. Then you probably already hate me. Wink

Wow. This is one of the best things I've seen in a while: Flumph A Flumph emoticon.

EDIT: I cannot believe I forgot this...A 4e Unearthed Arcana! That would have been great...
Welcome to the forum Seti! And yes, a Unearthed Arcana and more power books would have been cool. Thought the wizards got kinda bloated later on down the line I could have done more rituals and utility spells in a Arcane Power 2.
Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4e Books That Should Have Been   4e Books That Should Have Been - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 1:48 pm

Garthanos wrote:
Felorn Gloryaxe wrote:
Oh I admit I would be tempted to buy such a thing, even though I consider a lot of the errata a bit heavy handed.
True a lot of the errata was just pointless rewording. That's one of the reasons I get kinda flustered when people bash 4e for having so much errata. Most of it is pointless. And lets not forget 3.0 had so much it got reprinted as 3.5.
Back to top Go down
Fjw70
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: 4e Books That Should Have Been   4e Books That Should Have Been - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 6:08 pm

Garthanos wrote:
If your big bad can perform several standard actions or make more than one move.. loosing one of them is less of a deal. (require slightly different wording in various areas)
My custom solos get two turns around and all conditions end at the end of its turn (no matter the duration).
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4e Books That Should Have Been   4e Books That Should Have Been - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 6:17 pm

Felorn Gloryaxe wrote:
Garthanos wrote:
Felorn Gloryaxe wrote:
True a lot of the errata was just pointless rewording. That's one of the reasons I get kinda flustered when people bash 4e for having so much errata. Most of it is pointless. And lets not forget 3.0 had so much it got reprinted as 3.5.
Pointless rewording is something a bit different - sometimes it very much felt like you have 5 abilities three of which are powerful enough people always take them and not the other 2 ...lets nerf 3 out of five instead of shoring up the ones with questionable value.

Or instead of making subtle changes to a powers potency without changing its implied flavor (Battlerager Vigor) lets totally invert it. OK - BRV is more defendery the new way and it inspired me to come up with Feats that allowed one to gain the BRV different ways like When your allies were harmed.
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4e Books That Should Have Been   4e Books That Should Have Been - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 6:19 pm

Fjw70 wrote:
Garthanos wrote:
My custom solos get two turns around and all conditions end at the end of its turn (no matter the duration).
Nods I really really like that there is no expectation that monsters will be built via the same rules as PCs - a fundamental feature.
Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4e Books That Should Have Been   4e Books That Should Have Been - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 3:10 pm

Yes. I found that with 3e monsters can become fairly predictable at times and even arguable. Some players like to think that the monster can't do what the book doesn't provide. I much prefer 4e's and 13th Age's monster creation rules.

Last edited by Felorn Gloryaxe on Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cyvaris
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
cyvaris

PostSubject: Re: 4e Books That Should Have Been   4e Books That Should Have Been - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 19, 2013 8:20 am

I would have liked a full book of Utility powers...and a change to Utility powers in general. I love the idea of Utility Powers but in practice, I find myself taking ones that are combat oriented. My current Warlock (Order Adept Theme) took Shield, Caiphon's Leap, and Life Siphon. All of these are immediate interrupts that make combat easier and, while cool, man I wish I could take Utility powers without worrying about them helping combat.

Take the "skill" powers idea and just GIVE each class like four for free. Most of them aren't that game changing and actually make Skills far more interesting then what we currently have.
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4e Books That Should Have Been   4e Books That Should Have Been - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 19, 2013 9:10 am

cyvaris wrote:

Take the "skill" powers idea and just GIVE each class like four for free. Most of them aren't that game changing and actually make Skills far more interesting then what we currently have.
I think the reason skill powers were mostly combat oriented was because skill use in combat is an area where precision use is valuable.... ie defining a power makes some sense. I think more detailed out of combat elements for those who like it were being put forward in Martial Practices. As that wasnt ever developed very far and it was restricted to martial classes it falls short.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4e Books That Should Have Been   4e Books That Should Have Been - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

4e Books That Should Have Been
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next