4ENCLAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What are you watching?

Go down 
+3
CHIA
ToeSama
Felorn Gloryaxe
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet
Name: Felorn Gloryaxe
Class: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

What are you watching? Empty
PostSubject: What are you watching?   What are you watching? EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 6:44 pm

What are you watching at this time (Well... Not at this time but you get what I mean)? Be it a TV Show, a cartoon series, Anime, or movie.

Currently I am watching:

Supernatural (TV Series)
Attack on Titan (Anime)
Doctor Who (TV Series)
Sword Art Online (Anime)
Breaking Bad (TV Series)
Back to top Go down
ToeSama
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
ToeSama

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 7:23 pm

-American TV-
Law & Order Special Victims Unit
NCIS
Burn Notice
Wrestling shows

-Anime or Foreign TV-
Fairy Tail (Rewatching actually. Getting ready for second series)
Fate/Keleido Liner - Prisma Ilya
Mushibugyo
Monogatari 2
Watamote
Kamen Rider Wizard

As for movies, "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" and "My Cousin Vinny" are my two favorite films ever, so I always watch them once a month at least. Not caught anything in theaters recently. Kinda wanna go see "Despicable Me 2" if I can find the time and cash to do it.

This gives me an idea for another thread...
Back to top Go down
CHIA
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
CHIA

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 6:40 pm

30 Rock
SNL on Netflix
Doctor Who as always
Portlandia
And of course Arrested Development
Back to top Go down
cavalier973
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer
cavalier973

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 9:18 pm

We're holding "Merlin: Season 5" past its due date.  Gripping story; almost an excellent balance of humor and drama.

First Four Seasons.
Back to top Go down
http://greymerryfaire.wordpress.com
skwyd42
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
skwyd42

Character sheet
Name: Alain Smith IV
Class: Vampire
Race: Half-Elf

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? EmptyMon Sep 16, 2013 12:03 am

I RARELY watch TV. And if I do, it is usually watching a movie I have on DVD. We have a Netflix subscription that is used 90% of the time by the kids.

We're currently watching the original Incredible Hulk TV series (you know, Bill Bixby, Lou Ferigno). I have all of Big Bang Theory on DVD, but I still haven't seen Season 6. We enjoy How I Met Your Mother, but we've only seen though Season 7. And that's about it...
Back to top Go down
Durriken
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
Durriken

Character sheet
Name: Durriken
Class: Disestablishmentarian
Race: Green dragon

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 7:38 am

American Horror Story (watching Coven, waiting for Asylum on Netflix)
Sons of Anarchy (still a season behind watching on Netflix, DVR for current season)
Walking Dead
Orange is the New Black (Check this one out if you have Netflix)

Most everything I watch is either DVR or Netflix. The only thing I watch on the night it shows is Walking Dead and we usually start it 20-30 minutes late and fast forward through the commercials. The kids are anxiously awaiting 11/23 for the 50th anniversary. I only catch snippets of Dr Who with them, usually too busy doing other things when they are watching.
Then if we talk about the little ones, I get plenty of Sofia the First, Henry Hugglemonster, and Jake and the Neverland Pirates.

TjD
Back to top Go down
Tequila Sunrise
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
Tequila Sunrise

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 9:52 pm

Currently watching Parks & Rec and the Walking Dead.

I reread Dune a few months ago, and was struck by how awesome it could be, with a decent director, actors, and budget. I mean have you read it? Dune screams EPIC ACTION SCI-FI FILM!

ToeSama wrote:

As for movies, "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" and "My Cousin Vinny" are my two favorite films ever, so I always watch them once a month at least. Not caught anything in theaters recently. Kinda wanna go see "Despicable Me 2" if I can find the time and cash to do it.
...And I thought I was hard core for watching LotR once a year, and for wanting to watch new BSG for a third time through, at some point. I've got nothin' on you. pale 
Back to top Go down
Tequila Sunrise
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
Tequila Sunrise

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 9:57 pm

Felorn Gloryaxe wrote:
Attack on Titan (Anime)
Sword Art Online (Anime)
ToeSama wrote:
-American TV-
-Anime or Foreign TV-
Fairy Tail (Rewatching actually. Getting ready for second series)
Fate/Keleido Liner - Prisma Ilya
Mushibugyo
Monogatari 2
Watamote
Kamen Rider Wizard
How are these? I kind of have a love-hate relationship with anime; I love much of the artwork itself, but the shows themselves are all over the place in terms of both genre and quality.
Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 1:06 am

Attack on Titan is terrific. The 1st Season just wrapped up a little while ago.

Sword Art Online is the only TV show/Movie/Anime ever, that has made me cry. That's right, I said it. I cried. But besides that the anime is terrific. Easily in my top 5. It has action, romance, drama, and comedy all wrapped into one.
Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 1:08 am

You can watch both for free on Crunchyroll.

Sword Art Online: http://www.crunchyroll.com/sword-art-online

Attack on Titan: http://www.crunchyroll.com/attack-on-titan
Back to top Go down
ToeSama
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
ToeSama

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 7:32 am

Tequila Sunrise wrote:
How are these? I kind of have a love-hate relationship with anime; I love much of the artwork itself, but the shows themselves are all over the place in terms of both genre and quality.
Anime is a crapshoot sometimes. There's a lot of golden standards, but also a lot of fluff that is completely forgettable. It helps to have a wide variety of tastes.

My list in particular has a few of the really great stuff in it. I highly suggest Fairy Tail if action is preferred. Monogatari is a great series, but you can get the most out of it with an understanding of japanese culture, so ymmv on that. It also has a lot of short frames with text, so having to pause and read gets real annoying real fast XD

That said, Kamen Rider is live action actually. Though I still highly recommend it. Gotta torrent it though, but it's creators have given their blessing to do so as it's highly likely to never be licensed outside of Japan ever again. If you've never seen any Kamen Rider at all, start with Kamen Rider W (as in Double-U, not Wizard).
Back to top Go down
Tequila Sunrise
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
Tequila Sunrise

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 12:21 pm

Felorn Gloryaxe wrote:
You can watch both for free on Crunchyroll.

Sword Art Online: http://www.crunchyroll.com/sword-art-online

Attack on Titan: http://www.crunchyroll.com/attack-on-titan
Thanks, I'll check those out.

I recently got into FMA Brotherhood, but was disappointed that Netflix only has seasons 1-4, and anime sites always seem to require membership $ to watch the popular shows. (Can't stand the other FMA show; sooo slooow!)
Back to top Go down
Tequila Sunrise
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
Tequila Sunrise

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 12:33 pm

ToeSama wrote:
My list in particular has a few of the really great stuff in it. I highly suggest Fairy Tail if action is preferred. Monogatari is a great series, but you can get the most out of it with an understanding of japanese culture, so ymmv on that. It also has a lot of short frames with text, so having to pause and read gets real annoying real fast XD
I don't know much about Japanese culture, but my taste is unpredictable, so I'll add it to my list anyway.

Speaking of Japanese culture in anime, what's with the prevalence of existential dilemmas? Every time I hear a character moan about not having anything to live for, I'm like "Relax kid, you're not going to off yourself just because you don't have an obsessive life-devouring goal to sweat and bleed for anymore. It's called survival instinct; you'll be fine."

Is this a Japanese culture thing, an anime thing, or what?
Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 2:20 pm

ToeSama wrote:
Anime is a crapshoot sometimes. There's a lot of golden standards, but also a lot of fluff that is completely forgettable. It helps to have a wide variety of tastes.

I totally agree.

Having a wide variety of Animes you enjoy is key to finding them. I've moved away from the ones that are just non-stop action like DBZ, and Bleach (though I still enjoy them). But I've found that I really enjoy character/plot heavy dramas, and slice of life animes.
Back to top Go down
ToeSama
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
ToeSama

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 4:45 pm

Tequila Sunrise wrote:
Speaking of Japanese culture in anime, what's with the prevalence of existential dilemmas?
Their culture is a very success oriented one, especially where school age youths are concerned. So failure hits hard depending on the living conditions and expectations of their peers and superiors. Television obviously dramatizes things up depending on the subject matter (this prevails especially so in "grimdark" animes, but it's often made to be the butt of a joke at times as well), but most of it does come from the "do or die" spirit the country has.
Back to top Go down
Tequila Sunrise
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
Tequila Sunrise

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 8:55 am

Felorn Gloryaxe wrote:
Having a wide variety of Animes you enjoy is key to finding them.
This is my problem.

No world-exploration? Not interested.

Little to no action? Not interested. (With rare exceptions like some Miyazaki films.)

Slapstick comedy? I can tolerate it only in small doses. (Which sucks, because slapstick seems to be the only kind of comedy that exists in the anime world.)

Romance? Okay as a secondary theme, but boring as a central focus.

Too many chibi or dead-eye cutaway scenes? I've lost interest.

...Yup, I'm just too picky for anime.
Back to top Go down
Tequila Sunrise
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
Tequila Sunrise

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 9:02 am

ToeSama wrote:
Tequila Sunrise wrote:
Speaking of Japanese culture in anime, what's with the prevalence of existential dilemmas?
Their culture is a very success oriented one, especially where school age youths are concerned. So failure hits hard depending on the living conditions and expectations of their peers and superiors. Television obviously dramatizes things up depending on the subject matter (this prevails especially so in "grimdark" animes, but it's often made to be the butt of a joke at times as well), but most of it does come from the "do or die" spirit the country has.
As opposed to the west, particularly the U.S., where we're like "Fuck it, success is for over-achievers!"

...Just kidding; I guess the east and the west have different kinds of crazy must-succeed attitudes. I saw some of it when I spent time in S Korea teaching English, when my kids' parents complained that I wasn't giving them enough homework. (And I was teaching at an after-school school, where they came directly from a full day of regular school!)
Back to top Go down
Tequila Sunrise
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
Tequila Sunrise

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 6:50 am

Wooohooo!

Dexter is on netflix instant stream! Just the first four seasons yet, but this makes me very excited...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? Empty

Back to top Go down

What are you watching?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4ENCLAVE :: General Messages :: General Discussion-
Jump to: