4ENCLAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How can you have a discussion board without a music thread?

Go down 
+3
CHIA
Duskweaver
cavalier973
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Tequila Sunrise
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
Tequila Sunrise

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

How can you have a discussion board without a music thread? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How can you have a discussion board without a music thread?   How can you have a discussion board without a music thread? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 4:55 pm

skwyd42 wrote:
Yeah, Elton John is an amazing writer. The Lion King is NOT one of my favourites, but that's because it came out the year my son was born and he watched it all. the. time. So yeah... It was a bit overplayed. I don't deny that the music he wrote and performed for it was awesome, it is just too overplayed in my brain!
Say no more, I know the feeling.  Mad 

skwyd42 wrote:
I didn't know what to think of Moulin Rouge. It was... different?
Usually I can appreciate James Cameron's work, but MR fell flat for me. I generally put it down to being a chic flick, and leave it at that.

skwyd42 wrote:
I haven't seen Almost Famous. I'm not a big movie watcher.
It's a good enough movie, but you're not missing anything life-changing.

skwyd42 wrote:
My gf and I have been collecting old vinyl from used record stores and we have several Elton John albums. We also have ELO, Scorpions, and the Carpenters! We just recently got a few of what I consider "real" country music (Hank Thompson, Tex Ritter, Hank Williams - the first one) and we also have acquired some Lords of the New Church, Cult, and Styx on vinyl!
I'm not really sure what 'real' country music is, or how it differs from folk. When I think 'good' country, I think of the Eagles. Hence my screen name. Wink Recently I've discovered a few gems like Eva Cassidy's Early Morning Rain and Emmylou Harris' Red Dirt Girl. Oh, and I've enjoyed Mark Knopfler and Jay Ungar and Molly Mason for a long time.

Last edited by Tequila Sunrise on Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
skwyd42
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
skwyd42

Character sheet
Name: Alain Smith IV
Class: Vampire
Race: Half-Elf

PostSubject: Re: How can you have a discussion board without a music thread?   How can you have a discussion board without a music thread? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 1:19 am

skwyd42 wrote:
My gf and I have been collecting old vinyl from used record stores and we have several Elton John albums. We also have ELO, Scorpions, and the Carpenters! We just recently got a few of what I consider "real" country music (Hank Thompson, Tex Ritter, Hank Williams - the first one) and we also have acquired some Lords of the New Church, Cult, and Styx on vinyl!
I'm not really sure what 'real' country music is, or how it differs from folk. When I think 'good' country, I think of the Eagles. Hence my screen name. ;)Recently I've discovered a few gems like Eva Cassidy's Early Morning Rain and Emmylou Harris' Red Dirt Girl. Oh, and I've enjoyed Mark Knopfler and Jay Ungar and Molly Mason for a long time.[/quote]

Well, like I said, it is just what I consider "real" country. I use that term because where I live, the music that is played on the "country music" stations is crap. I can't stand it in any way, shape, or form. I feel it is as bad as Vogon poetry.

For lack of a better term, I sometimes call it "modern country" because this particular style of "country music" has only been around since the 90's or so. And the only music that can it typically classified as country music that I like is from the 40's and 50's.

Folk music is definitely similar to country music from that era. However, country music of that era tends to stick mostly to a "guitar-centric" sound whereas folk music often uses more instruments (e.g. banjo, washboard, mandolin, etc).

I know these are generalizations, but it is hard for me to describe what it is that I do like versus what I don't like. And, it goes without saying, it is merely my own subjective opinion of what is good or not. I can say I'm not a big Eagles fan. But I can also say that I know that they were good musicians and had a lot of influence on the rock musicians of the 70's.

Oh, there is one other style of music that is technically a form of country music that I like a lot. Rockabilly. I love that stuff!
Back to top Go down
Tequila Sunrise
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
Tequila Sunrise

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: How can you have a discussion board without a music thread?   How can you have a discussion board without a music thread? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 10:48 am

skwyd42 wrote:
I know these are generalizations, but it is hard for me to describe what it is that I do like versus what I don't like.
You and me both! When asked what kind of music I like, all I can tell people is "I like good music." Which sounds horribly arrogant, but is really the best I can do. I don't have any musical training, but my taste may have to do with the Four Chords.

I agree that most country on the radio is crap. Hell, I'll generalize even further and say that most music on the radio is crap! But I do enjoy some of it, including George Strait's Troubadour and Taylor Swift's Love Story. I'm not generally a fan of either of these artists, of country in general, or of any genre in particular. Sometimes I love the first half of a song, but hate the second half. I like what I like, and I stopped trying to make sense of it all years ago.  cyclops 
Back to top Go down
skwyd42
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
skwyd42

Character sheet
Name: Alain Smith IV
Class: Vampire
Race: Half-Elf

PostSubject: Re: How can you have a discussion board without a music thread?   How can you have a discussion board without a music thread? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 2:35 pm

Tequila Sunrise wrote:
skwyd42 wrote:
I know these are generalizations, but it is hard for me to describe what it is that I do like versus what I don't like.
You and me both! When asked what kind of music I like, all I can tell people is "I like good music." Which sounds horribly arrogant, but is really the best I can do. I don't have any musical training, but my taste may have to do with the Four Chords.

I agree that most country on the radio is crap. Hell, I'll generalize even further and say that most music on the radio is crap! But I do enjoy some of it, including George Strait's Troubadour and Taylor Swift's Love Story. I'm not generally a fan of either of these artists, of country in general, or of any genre in particular. Sometimes I love the first half of a song, but hate the second half. I like what I like, and I stopped trying to make sense of it all years ago.  :cyclops: 

Yeah, most of what is on corporate radio stations is the cream of the crap. I don't listen to the radio because I hate commercials, though.

I can say what I like "in general". That is the older goth/punk/industrial genres. Those stand out as some of my most favourite. But beyond that, it is a mess. I'm a huge Beatles fan. And Depeche Mode. I don't like Rush or Pink Floyd. But I really like Queen. I like the Carpenters (sometimes) and ELO (most of the time). I enjoy about half of what Styx did. There's a lot of stuff from the 80's that I really, really like, but I think that's mostly because I went through Jr. High, High School, and my first 3 years of college in the 80's. So that music was around in my adolescent and young adult formative years. I even played in an 80's cover band for about 3 years. I can't stand "gangsta rap" and most stuff that is billed as "hip-hop" or "R&B" these days I will turn off if I hear it. But you can't go wrong with the Beastie Boys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How can you have a discussion board without a music thread?   How can you have a discussion board without a music thread? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

How can you have a discussion board without a music thread?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2