4ENCLAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"Less than Optimized"

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet
Name: Felorn Gloryaxe
Class: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

"Less than Optimized" Empty
PostSubject: "Less than Optimized"   "Less than Optimized" EmptyThu Aug 28, 2014 5:21 pm

Thread Idea from Skwyd42.

skywd42 wrote:
So I was wondering if anyone would interested in a thread where we discuss "less-than-optimized" character building. For example, the Warden in my group needs to bump his defenses up a bit. He's only got defenses that are as good as the Strikers. I think he can get them a little higher. They don't have to be the absolute highest possible, I would like to see them a point or two higher (on average) than the rest of the party. That's the sort of topics I was wondering if people would be interested in discussing.

It sounds like a good enough thread topic to me.

If I'm understanding this correctly it's a thread were people talk about characters that aren't really optimized but could use a few bits of optimizing advice.

Quote :
He's only got defenses that are as good as the Strikers. I think he can get them a little higher. They don't have to be the absolute highest possible, I would like to see them a point or two higher (on average) than the rest of the party.

Could you tell me his feats and armor?
Back to top Go down
skwyd42
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
skwyd42

Character sheet
Name: Alain Smith IV
Class: Vampire
Race: Half-Elf

PostSubject: Re: "Less than Optimized"   "Less than Optimized" EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 3:22 pm

Yep, sure can.

Yorvin Stoneforge. Level 14 Dwarven Warden, can't remember his PP though and I can't seem to find it on the character sheet. It's something to do with earth or stone.

Current Defenses: AC 28; F 29; R 24; W 24
Str: 22; Con: 20; Dex: 15; Int: 11; Wis: 13; Cha: 9

Items: Amulet of Health +3; Pouncing Hide Armor +3

Feats: Improved Defenses

I am using the inherent bonus system.

I think that's everything that is establishing his defenses.

Overall, his AC and Fort are okay. But his Reflex and Will are horrible. I know it is partly due to his ability scores.
Back to top Go down
spock42
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: "Less than Optimized"   "Less than Optimized" EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 8:00 pm

honestly there is not alot that a Str/Con warden can do to get all four defenses up to spec, but there are a few items that would help.

Hammer shield is good assuming he is using a hammer
helm of able defense
boots of quickness
shield mastery
armor specialization (hide)
Elven chain shirt

not really what you asked for, but if he wants to increase his survivability one of the best ways to do that is put some resources into optimizing his second wind.
Cincture of Vivacity with this you second wind as soon as possible, get the bonuses that gives and get a load of temps
parry gauntlets this does give an item bonus, so it will not stack with everything
earthstrength defenses if he is earthstrength
earthstrength Resilence again if he is earthstrength

general survivability
Dwarven durability
swift recovery
Toughness
Back to top Go down
skwyd42
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
skwyd42

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: "Less than Optimized"   "Less than Optimized" EmptyMon Sep 22, 2014 11:56 am

I like that Helm of Able Defense. And I think the player may like that also.

I know that it is tough to push up the Ref & Will defenses of a Str/Con build. You don't have any ability scores working to help you out.

I just found it odd that when you took the mathematical average of his four defenses and compared them to the other's in the party, he was on par with the two strikers.

>Smile
Back to top Go down
skwyd42
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
skwyd42

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: "Less than Optimized"   "Less than Optimized" EmptyMon Sep 22, 2014 12:02 pm

Felorn Gloryaxe wrote:
Thread Idea from Skwyd42.

It sounds like a good enough thread topic to me.

If I'm understanding this correctly it's a thread were people talk about characters that aren't really optimized but could use a few bits of optimizing advice.

Yes, mostly. One thing about 4E (that I really like) is that the "gap" between the super-optimized characters and the "worst possible" build isn't as wide as it was in previous editions. I recall in a 3.x campaign that I ran, if I put in enemies that could challenge the uber-cleric, they would mash the others in the party with a though. And if I "toned down" the enemies so that the rest of the party could have a good challenge, the uber-cleric would wade through them in 2 rounds...

Anyway, in my 4E group, I don't have players that are looking to build the most perfectly optimized characters (I have a pixie-vampire as one of the strikers and it is pretty cool). The players want to have effective characters, but since the campaign is more story-based, I'm not pushing them to the limits of the 4E system.

So in this thread, I was looking to see if anyone was interested in discussing feats, powers, items, etc for characters that will make them better. but not necessarily looking at a "perfect mapping" of feats, builds, etc. to make them the pinnacle of their role.

More like "honing" them as opposed to "optimizing" them.

-Syd
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Less than Optimized"   "Less than Optimized" Empty

Back to top Go down

"Less than Optimized"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4ENCLAVE :: 4th Edition :: 4e Character Optimization-
Jump to: