4ENCLAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Which book had the greatest influence on you?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Duskweaver
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer
Duskweaver

Character sheet
Name: Duskweaver
Class: Invoker
Race: Eladrin

Which book had the greatest influence on you? Empty
PostSubject: Which book had the greatest influence on you?   Which book had the greatest influence on you? EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 9:21 am

This is something that's being discussed in various parts of the internet right now, due to something a famous US politician said recently.

Which book (fiction or non-fiction) has had the biggest influence on your worldview and how you live your life?

For me, it'd be Douglas Hofstadter's Gödel, Escher, Bach, with a close second being Chris Chabris' and Dan Simons' The Invisible Gorilla.
Back to top Go down
skwyd42
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
skwyd42

Character sheet
Name: Alain Smith IV
Class: Vampire
Race: Half-Elf

PostSubject: Re: Which book had the greatest influence on you?   Which book had the greatest influence on you? EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 4:35 pm

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy (all 5 books) are absolutely the books with the greatest impact on my life ever.

I got the first book as a christmas gift when I was 13 (over 30 years ago). I started reading it that evening at my grand-parents' house. I only put it down to sleep that night. Then, I finished it the next day. And as soon as I was done, I started over.

I got Restaurant at the End of the Universe from a friend (borrowed, then he gave me the book) and read that in about 2 days. Then read Life, the Universe, and Everything shortly thereafter. I think I read all three of those books through at least a dozen times over the next couple months.

I got So Long and Thanks for All the Fish when it came out and read through that immediately. Of course, I then had to re-read the first 3 books and read the 4th again after that.

I somehow hadn't heard about Mostly Harmless until my friend showed up at my house with a hardback copy of it signed by Douglas Adams (and stamped with a 42).

Adams' sense of humour has shaped a lot of my own and his views on the world we live in and life in general have served as a very strong navigation point for me throughout my adult life.
Back to top Go down
Durriken
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
Durriken

Character sheet
Name: Durriken
Class: Disestablishmentarian
Race: Green dragon

PostSubject: Re: Which book had the greatest influence on you?   Which book had the greatest influence on you? EmptyMon Jul 07, 2014 8:57 am

Machiavelli's The Prince. His work on power, influence and human nature is as relevant today as it was 500 years ago.
Also What Is Your Dangerous Idea edited by John Brockman

TjD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which book had the greatest influence on you?   Which book had the greatest influence on you? Empty

Back to top Go down

Which book had the greatest influence on you?
Page 1 of 1