4ENCLAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

House Rule: Tactical Ranged CA

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
C4
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
C4

House Rule: Tactical Ranged CA Empty
PostSubject: House Rule: Tactical Ranged CA   House Rule: Tactical Ranged CA EmptyWed Mar 19, 2014 10:39 pm

I had an idea, and thought I'd run it past my fellow 4e fans:

Combatants get CA on ranged attacks against enemies who are 1) adjacent to one or more of the attacker's allies and 2) have nothing between themselves and the attacker. Basically, you can 'flank' enemies using your bow or whatever, so long as you have a clear shot. Which I think makes a lot of sense; it's hard for the bad guy to dodge your arrows when he's also trying to parry your buddy's sword thrusts.

This solves two issues: It gives ranged combatants a semi-reliable way to get CA that doesn't involve feats, and it creates an incentive for ranged combatants to move around the battlefield that doesn't involve Prime Shot.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
http://complete4th.wordpress.com
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet
Name: Garthanos
Class: Arcadian Knight
Race: Auld Worlder

PostSubject: Re: House Rule: Tactical Ranged CA   House Rule: Tactical Ranged CA EmptyWed Mar 19, 2014 10:47 pm

I like condition number 2 better than the prime shot... it seems a definite benefit but I would think you would replace prime shot perhaps?
Back to top Go down
http://www.dyasdesigns.com/kingsmagic.html
JohnLynch
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: House Rule: Tactical Ranged CA   House Rule: Tactical Ranged CA EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 2:14 am

Here's a question: Are ranged attacks better than melee attacks?

Conventional wisdom has said that yes, when you attack with a ranged weapon you're in a better situation then someone in melee because it's harder to damage you. 3.5e did this by "supposedly" giving ranged characters less damage (I question this. In Pathfinder I was able to deal as much damage as the fighter using only the Core Rulebook. Now with all the splatbooks I think ranged characters are overpowered in 3.5e). In 4th ed (AFAIK) the Archer Ranger deals as much damage as the Two-Weapon Ranger. So therefore the only difference is that Melee Rangers can flank (giving them a +2 to hit).

I'm a bit burnt out on archers due to Pathfinder. In 4th ed I'd probably be more than happy with this rule as you can't get around provoking an AoO when you make a ranged attack. Cornering an archer puts them in a very bad situation as their melee basic attack will be awful. So I'm happy to let them flank.
Back to top Go down
Chris24601
Legend
Legend

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: House Rule: Tactical Ranged CA   House Rule: Tactical Ranged CA EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 8:06 am

I dunno about that, while a strait dex archer ranger might suck with the melee attacks, I have a human scout who uses a rapid longbow and twin strike for opening turns where I can't reach melee (move + twin strike + minor action RBA) or where melee just isn't an option at the moment. My melee attacks certainly don't suck.

Similarly, a rogue can use a bow and melee attacks off of dex, an archer warlord uses strength for his bow attacks, and the hunter can use an RBA in melee without provoking after level 9. It's really only one ranger build that suffers from poor melee attacks (and there is one ranger melee at-will that keys off dex instead of strength so even they're not up a creek in melee if they take that and twin strike).

It's an interesting idea, but the potential weakness of a weapon using class in melee really isn't really a valid arguement for (or against) it.

Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet
Name: Garthanos
Class: Arcadian Knight
Race: Auld Worlder

PostSubject: Re: House Rule: Tactical Ranged CA   House Rule: Tactical Ranged CA EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 10:18 am

I think the ranger in 4e is by default one of the last classes to umm need an unpaid for helping hand mechanically BUT since C4 is likely talking about PoL, our normal context for analysing it might need shifted. I find this interested in the element of inducing movement to have a clear shot.
Dynamic combat is ++
Back to top Go down
http://www.dyasdesigns.com/kingsmagic.html
SgtFreakshow
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: House Rule: Tactical Ranged CA   House Rule: Tactical Ranged CA EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 10:51 am

I agree, this mechanic seems like it would add alot to the tactical options of ranged combatants, I approve.
Back to top Go down
C4
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
C4

PostSubject: Re: House Rule: Tactical Ranged CA   House Rule: Tactical Ranged CA EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 12:21 pm

Garthanos wrote:
I think the ranger in 4e is by default one of the last classes to umm need an unpaid for helping hand mechanically BUT since C4 is likely talking about PoL, our normal context for analysing it might need shifted. I find this interested in the element of inducing movement to have a clear shot.
Dynamic combat is ++
Yeah, it may have been a mistake to present this as a house rule, because I am indeed considering it as a standard rule for Points of Light.

I do appreciate the feedback I've gotten though, so thanks everyone!
Back to top Go down
http://complete4th.wordpress.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: House Rule: Tactical Ranged CA   House Rule: Tactical Ranged CA Empty

Back to top Go down

House Rule: Tactical Ranged CA
Page 1 of 1