4ENCLAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What are you reading?

Go down 
+5
Tequila Sunrise
thanson02
skwyd42
Durriken
Felorn Gloryaxe
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet
Name: Felorn Gloryaxe
Class: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

What are you reading? Empty
PostSubject: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 3:14 am

So what exactly are you reading? Right now I'm reading the Dragonlance Chronicles (again), and The Song of Ice and Fire series. I would highly recommend both series to anyone who is into fantasy.

I'm also currently reading Swords & Wizardry, I never got the chance to play OD&D so I figured I would download the retro clone and give it a glance. I rather like the game. It's pretty simple, and modular.

Back to top Go down
Durriken
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
Durriken

Character sheet
Name: Durriken
Class: Disestablishmentarian
Race: Green dragon

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 7:03 am

And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini. The Kite Runner was one of the best books I've ever read, so it was inevitable that I would pick up his latest novel.
When done with that, I'll be looking for Beyond the Sweet Forevers which was recommend by a coworker who reads all the time. We were discussing our favorite books and he said that one was really good.
The last book I finished was Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby. Probably the third time reading it. I have found a few new insights each time. Even though Hornby is a despicable Arsenal fan (#COYS), he's a pretty good writer (3 or 4 books made into major motion pictures) and I have enjoyed a number of his books. I recommend About a Boy and Juliet, Naked for anyone that wants to check him out.
TjD
Back to top Go down
skwyd42
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
skwyd42

Character sheet
Name: Alain Smith IV
Class: Vampire
Race: Half-Elf

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 12:46 pm

Reading? I remember that. I have bookshelves FULL of books that I've read. I also have a whole section of that bookshelf dedicated to books that I want to read. But the time I have to actually hold a book and read has somehow disappeared from my life. Work, kids, and getting time in for gaming takes up pretty much all of my free time. I used to listen to audiobooks on my commute to work (I had over an hour one way for almost 3 years) and that was cool. But I'm working closer to home now, and 20 minutes one way isn't enough to get into any audiobooks.
Back to top Go down
thanson02
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
thanson02

Character sheet
Name: thanson02
Class: Monk
Race: Human

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 1:32 pm

My wife and I are going through out bookshelves right now to see what books we want out and what we want in storage. (not enough room for all the needed bookshelves)

With the Hobbit movies being out, I got on a Tolkien kick. Right now, I am reading The Shaping of Middle Earth by J.R.R. Tolkien and Christopher Tolkien. I am also looking to read The Book of Lost Tales 1 and 2, The Lays of Beleriand, The Lost Road and Other Writings, and as soon as I get it The Children of Hurin.

For study purposes (I have a big test for the martial art I am in this summer), I am reading Hwa Rang Do vol. 1 by Dr. Joo Bang Lee and Hwa Rang Do: Defend, Takedown, Submit by Taejoon Lee.
Back to top Go down
Tequila Sunrise
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
Tequila Sunrise

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 1:36 pm

Currently reading Trickster's Choice by Tamora Pierce. I like the story, the characters, and the setting, but it's teen fiction so Pierce tells more than I'd like her to. (I go by the author's adage "Show, don't tell.")

Felorn Gloryaxe wrote:
So what exactly are you reading? Right now I'm reading the Dragonlance Chronicles (again), and The Song of Ice and Fire series. I would highly recommend both series to anyone who is into fantasy.
I'll second the SoIaF recommendation!

I loved the DL Chronicles, until I decided to reread them as a full adult. I got about three chapters in before realizing just how much my tastes have evolved since I first read them, and put them down.

Oddly, the one and only game novel that I still like after rereading as an adult is The Brothers' War, by Jeff Grubb. It takes place in the Magic multiverse, and despite everything is just as engaging, imaginative, and powerful the second time around.
Back to top Go down
Duskweaver
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer
Duskweaver

Character sheet
Name: Duskweaver
Class: Invoker
Race: Eladrin

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 4:01 pm

I've finally gotten round to reading R. Scott Bakker's Neuropath. It is almost indescribably excellent, especially if, like me, you have some interest in cognitive psychology. It's also given me some really neat ideas for roleplaying illithids (the book's antagonist rewires people's brains to demonstrate the illusory nature of the self, morality and even meaning itself). Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Semi-Retired Gamer
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer
Semi-Retired Gamer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyTue Dec 02, 2014 1:02 pm

I have just over 100 pages left to read in A Dance With Dragons and I plan on starting Sanderson's Mistborn series next.
Back to top Go down
http://semiretiredgamer.blogspot.com/
Semi-Retired Gamer
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer
Semi-Retired Gamer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyMon May 25, 2015 8:37 pm

Semi-Retired Gamer wrote:
I have just over 100 pages left to read in A Dance With Dragons and I plan on starting Sanderson's Mistborn series next.

I completed Mistborn: The Final Empire two nights ago but I have yet to decide what's next.  I'm sticking with Sanderson but undecided on whether to read The Well of Ascension or Words of Radiance next.

Decision made: The Well of Ascension.

Last edited by Semi-Retired Gamer on Thu May 28, 2015 5:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Made decision)
Back to top Go down
skwyd42
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
skwyd42

Character sheet
Name: Alain Smith IV
Class: Vampire
Race: Half-Elf

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyMon May 25, 2015 9:07 pm

Well, I'm still not reading any books (insert sad face here). But I've been listening to gaming podcasts. And I'm usually able to get a couple of gaming blogs read in small chunks either at work or when I'm working from home.

I think I'm going to try to do an audiobook again once I get caught up on a few things. I have a couple of books by Neil Gaiman that I'd like to listen to...
Back to top Go down
Semi-Retired Gamer
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer
Semi-Retired Gamer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyThu Dec 10, 2015 1:26 pm

I'm down to 50 pages remaining in This Present Darkness by Frank E. Peretti and I should finish that today.
Back to top Go down
Honorbound
Legend
Legend

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyThu Dec 10, 2015 3:10 pm

I frequently reread the Dresden Files and Codex Alera by Jim Butcher. I've reread Larry Correia's Son of the Black Sword and his Monster Hunter International series. Right now I'm on another reread of the first MHI book.
Back to top Go down
DM Jon
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer
DM Jon

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyThu Dec 10, 2015 6:47 pm

I recently finished "Playing at the World" by Jon Peterson and reread "Quag Keep" by Andre Norton.  Right now I'm in the middle of rereading the three 4th Edition D&D Core rule books.  Next up will be "Empire of Imagination: Gary Gygax and the Birth of Dungeons & Dragons" by Michael Witwer.
Back to top Go down
Durriken
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
Durriken

Character sheet
Name: Durriken
Class: Disestablishmentarian
Race: Green dragon

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyMon Dec 14, 2015 7:07 am

"The Pleasure of My Company" by Steve Martin. I haven't been reading anything, for months now - which is just crazy, cause I am usually reading some book if not two. I don't count the ABAP book I have on my desk at work now. We were cleaning a little used corner on Saturday and I found the it. I'm quite entertained. Non fantasy and sci-fi can be as much an inspiration as anything else. Particularly with very eccentric characters.
TjD
Back to top Go down
Semi-Retired Gamer
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer
Semi-Retired Gamer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyMon Dec 14, 2015 9:36 am

I started Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson yesterday. Not real far in the book but the development of the characters and story is awesome!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Empty

Back to top Go down

What are you reading?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4ENCLAVE :: General Messages :: General Discussion-
Jump to: