4ENCLAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My Basic 4e D&D

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Fjw70
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

My Basic 4e D&D Empty
PostSubject: My Basic 4e D&D   My Basic 4e D&D EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 10:09 am

Here is a link to my basic version of 4e.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Any comments/suggestions would be helpful.

I have made some tweaks since this was posted and I will update the document when I get a chance.
Back to top Go down
Fjw70
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

My Basic 4e D&D Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Basic 4e D&D   My Basic 4e D&D EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 10:10 am

I have reworked weapons. I have divided them into six groups and the group determines the weapon's stats.

Light melee weapons do d8 and can be used one-handed. Weapons in this group include short swords, maces, rapiers, scimitars, and short spears.

Medium melee weapons can be used one-handed or two-handed. When used one-handed they do d8 damage and when used two-handed they do d10 damage. Weapons in this group included longswords, bastard swords, broadswords, heavy spears, warhammers, and battleaxes.

Heavy melee weapons do d12 damage and must be used two-handed. Weapons in this group include greatswords, greataxes, mauls, and pole arms.

Light ranged weapons do d6 damage. Thrown weapons in this group (such as daggers, hand axes, and throwing hammers) have a range of 5/10 and can also be used as melee weapons. Projectile weapons in this group (such as hand crossbows and slings) have a range of 10/20. Javelins range of 10/20 and can also be used as melee weapons.

Medium ranged weapons do d8 damage and have a range of 15/30. Weapons in this group include short bows and light crossbows.

Heavy ranged weapons do d10 damage and have a range of 20/40. Weapons in this group include longbows and heavy crossbows.

If you are proficient with a weapon you get a +3 proficiency bonus.
Back to top Go down
Fjw70
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

My Basic 4e D&D Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Basic 4e D&D   My Basic 4e D&D EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 10:11 am

I also standardized what it means to be proficient/trained with something. This is now the same for weapons and skills.

If you are proficient/trained in either one you get a +3 bonus to any checks made when using that weapon or skill. Since skill checks and attacks rolls both get ability scores, levels, and proficiency bonuses added to them then weapon attacks are now just skill checks.

I have adjusted moderate skills check DCs to be 10 plus level with hard and easy checks being +/-5.
Back to top Go down
Fjw70
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

My Basic 4e D&D Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Basic 4e D&D   My Basic 4e D&D EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 2:26 pm

After some playing and thinking I have decided to ratchet back the complexity a little bit. Not that it was that complex but I want to eliminate encounter and daily powers. Those just aren't need right now. These changes will get this basic game more in-line with my original goal of a BX complexity level game using 4e's mathematical structure.

First I am eliminating AC, Fort, Reflex, and Will for monsters and replacing it with a single Defense score that is equal to level + 14. Spells will now get a proficiency bonus so that their numbers are on par with weapon attacks.

I have used different types of minions over the time I have played 4e and for this iteration I have settled on minions having HP of 5 plus twice level. With the targeting rules below this should result in most attacks that target minion groups dropping one or more minion with a successful hit.

The combat rules will be similar to the 13th Age combat rules regard to positioning. When you target monsters you can target one standard, elite, solo, or minion group. Excess damage from a minion attack gets passed to the next minion. For example, a group of 0 level kobolds would have 5 hp each. It an attack against the group does 12 points of damage then two kobolds would die and the group takes an extra 2 points so that another attack that does 3 points of damage would drop another kobold.

Spell attacks work the same as weapon attacks. With a spell attack you can target a monster or group that is engaged or at range. So for example,if you are a fire wizard and attack an engaged group of minions then you can narrate the effect as a burning hands spell. If you attack a group at range then you can say it is a fireball spell.

Both weapon and spell attacks do 1[W] at first level and an additional [W] for each three levels gained (i.e. 2[W] at 4th, 3[W] at 7th, etc.), and add the PC's level to the damage.

Armor is simplified to light (+3 to AC), medium (+5 to AC) and heavy (+7 to AC). Shields add +2 to AC and Reflex. Neither medium or heavy armor get Dexterity bonuses.

Now onto the classes.

Clerics can wear light or medium armor, and use shields. They are proficient with all one-handed melee or thrown weapons (they can add their god's favored weapon at the DM's discretion). They can make d6 radiant spell attacks.

Fighters can use any armor and shields, and are proficient with any weapons. Monsters need to make a hard saving throw (16+) to disengage from the fighter and cannot opt to take an opportunity attack instead.

Rogues can use light armor and are proficient with all one-handed melee, thrown, and light and medium ranged weapons. Rogues add 2d6 to the damage of any attack in which the target is engaged with one of the rogues's allies or is unaware the of the rogue's presence (this increases to 3d6 at 11th level and 4d6 at 21st level).

Wizards cannot use any armor or shields and are proficient with one-handed melee and thrown weapons. They can make d8 spell attacks and must choose a primary damage type that their spells do. They can change this damage type by reducing the [W] of the attack by 1. They can cast utility spells a number of times a day equal to their Int score plus half-level (remember ability score range from -1 to 4 for PCs). When using a utility spell they can use their Arcana bonus for any skill check.

All PCs can choose any 5 trained skills at 1st level and their are no changes to the non-armor defense bonuses and HP that each class gets.
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet
Name: Garthanos
Class: Arcadian Knight
Race: Auld Worlder

My Basic 4e D&D Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Basic 4e D&D   My Basic 4e D&D EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 12:54 pm

Fjw70 wrote:
I also standardized what it means to be proficient/trained with something. This is now the same for weapons and skills.

If you are proficient/trained in either one you get a +3 bonus to any checks made when using that weapon or skill. Since skill checks and attacks rolls both get ability scores, levels, and proficiency bonuses added to them then weapon attacks are now just skill checks.

I have adjusted moderate skills check DCs to be 10 plus level with hard and easy checks being +/-5.
I like this... If something isnt really really different then why use a different mechanic.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dyasdesigns.com/kingsmagic.html
Sponsored content

My Basic 4e D&D Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Basic 4e D&D   My Basic 4e D&D Empty

Back to top Go down

My Basic 4e D&D
Page 1 of 1