4ENCLAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What are your houserules?

Go down 
+12
seti
skwyd42
Duskweaver
CHIA
chaosfang
DaBugbear
Felorn Gloryaxe
Chris24601
ToeSama
Pashalik
Mezlo
Janx_14
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Lindeloef
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

What are your houserules? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are your houserules?   What are your houserules? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 8:07 am

My only real House rule that I am using (and am aware that is indeed a house rule):
-1 Action Point per fight. Use it or its gone till the next fight.

I have seen Players not using APs at all cause they were afraid to not have one, if they were in dire need of one. So with this, they are at least used.
Back to top Go down
skwyd42
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
skwyd42

Character sheet
Name: Alain Smith IV
Class: Vampire
Race: Half-Elf

PostSubject: Re: What are your houserules?   What are your houserules? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 12:06 pm

Lindeloef wrote:
My only real House rule that I am using (and am aware that is indeed a house rule):
-1 Action Point per fight. Use it or its gone till the next fight.

I have seen Players not using APs at all cause they were afraid to not have one, if they were in dire need of one. So with this, they are at least used.
I'm curious about when/how you implement this? You say they have to use it or its gone. At what point is it taken away? Are you saying they can't carry it over into the next combat? Do they get one reset every encounter?
Back to top Go down
Lindeloef
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: What are your houserules?   What are your houserules? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 12:12 pm

Yes they get one for an encounter and for that encounter only.
It is gone after that encounter (either spend or it will be deleted) and in the next encounter they have a new one.
Back to top Go down
C4
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
C4

PostSubject: Re: What are your houserules?   What are your houserules? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 12:53 pm

I do pretty much the same thing: Each extended rest resets your AP total to zero, and each encounter grants 1 use-it-or-lose-it AP. Less tracking, no AP hoarding, and players have a real reason to push on rather than taking six-hour snoozes at every opportunity.
Back to top Go down
http://complete4th.wordpress.com
skwyd42
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
skwyd42

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What are your houserules?   What are your houserules? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 1:48 pm

I'm not sure why the players are hoarding action points. They can only spend 1 per encounter at most so even if they've accumulated more, they won't be able to spend them anyway.

And there are standard rules that prevent the party from taking an extended rest whenever they want.

There's nothing wrong with that house rule, I'm just curious as to why players would ever hoard their action points. There's really no benefit to it.
Back to top Go down
C4
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
C4

PostSubject: Re: What are your houserules?   What are your houserules? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 3:45 pm

skwyd42 wrote:
I'm not sure why the players are hoarding action points. They can only spend 1 per encounter at most so even if they've accumulated more, they won't be able to spend them anyway.
Some players are strongly tempted to hoard APs because they don't know how many more encounters they'll have before the next extended rest, and they want to be sure to have one for the presumed big boss fight.

skwyd42 wrote:
And there are standard rules that prevent the party from taking an extended rest whenever they want.
'At every opportunity' =/= 'whenever we want.'

"Well guys, we could push on, but our goal isn't time-sensitive so...let's just chill for a day, and head out fully-loaded tomorrow!" Time-sensitive goals often make sense, but just as often feel forced, so I appreciate a house rule that gives the players some small carrot for pushing on that's completely independent of plot.
Back to top Go down
http://complete4th.wordpress.com
skwyd42
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
skwyd42

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What are your houserules?   What are your houserules? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 3:54 pm

I guess my players don't seem to focus that much on the AP. I have one player that almost always uses his within the first round or two. And another that rarely remembers she has one. But I figure it's up to them to use them or not.

As for the extended rests, I tend to always have some noticeable effect for time passing. It may be good or bad or indifferent to the characters, but it's there and they'll see that effect.

That house rule basically boils down to 1AP per fight, no more, no less. It's simple and easy to remember, which is good for a house rule.
Back to top Go down
Lindeloef
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: What are your houserules?   What are your houserules? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 4:13 pm

Yeah, that's the reason. My players just hoarded them out of fear to not have them in the "Boss-fight". Even if i told them, that this is indeed the boss fight.

I am only DMing, so I have not a Player mindset and cannot answer you that question from a player standpoint.
Maybe my players are just special...
Back to top Go down
chaosfang
chaosfang

PostSubject: Re: What are your houserules?   What are your houserules? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 5:46 pm

Lindeloef wrote:
Yeah, that's the reason. My players just hoarded them out of fear to not have them in the "Boss-fight". Even if i told them, that this is indeed the boss fight.

I am only DMing, so I have not a Player mindset and cannot answer you that question from a player standpoint.
Maybe my players are just special...
No, it's a valid concern; my players too, are worried about action points and possibly not having them for the "big fight", the same reason why dailies are hoarded like crazy.

[ I once shoved the "big fight" into the start of the adventure rather than the end of the adventure, and even when the characters were SO close to a TPK, it took a lot of effort on the players' part to let go of even one daily, as well as spend even just one action point. ]

That's an excellent houserule by the way, something I'd seriously consider for my next campaign. I may even houserule it into my 13th Age campaigns too Smile
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet
Name: Garthanos
Class: Arcadian Knight
Race: Auld Worlder

PostSubject: Re: What are your houserules?   What are your houserules? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 6:12 pm

Synopsis of this house rule.

Ignore tracking action points and hand everyone this New encounter power

Dynamic Action: You may perform an extra standard action this round this counts as using an action point for purposes of triggering effects and powers. (now just create a card for it so those who use cards) 

Did I miss anything? Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.dyasdesigns.com/kingsmagic.html
skwyd42
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
skwyd42

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What are your houserules?   What are your houserules? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 6:22 pm

Just note that it is a free action that can only be used on the player's turn. Maybe some verbiage to clarify that it can only be used once per encounter (i.e. it can't be recharged).
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What are your houserules?   What are your houserules? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 9:20 pm

skwyd42 wrote:
Just note that it is a free action that can only be used on the player's turn. Maybe some verbiage to clarify that it can only be used once per encounter (i.e. it can't be recharged).
Well its an encounter power... they dont normally get used more than once per encounter. But yes specifying its use as a free action only on the players turn seems needed.
Back to top Go down
skwyd42
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
skwyd42

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What are your houserules?   What are your houserules? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 9:42 pm

I do believe there are a few items and abilities in the game that allow a character to regain the use of a spent encounter power. Plus it just puts the phrasing in line with the AP rules of only using one per encounter.
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What are your houserules?   What are your houserules? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 3:54 am

skwyd42 wrote:
I do believe there are a few items and abilities in the game that allow a character to regain the use of a spent encounter power. Plus it just puts the phrasing in line with the AP rules of only using one per encounter.
Nods, thus preventing the possibility of somebody double dipping... via combinations.
Back to top Go down
CHIA
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
CHIA

PostSubject: Re: What are your houserules?   What are your houserules? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 8:05 pm

skwyd42 wrote:

That house rule basically boils down to 1AP per fight, no more, no less. It's simple and easy to remember, which is good for a house rule.
I usually houserule a straight up 1AP per good-sized encounter,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are your houserules?   What are your houserules? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What are your houserules?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4ENCLAVE :: 4th Edition :: 4e General Discussion-
Jump to: