4ENCLAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Migration of CharOp Handbooks

Go down 
+4
Scrivener of Doom
Felorn Gloryaxe
Chris24601
ToeSama
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ToeSama
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
ToeSama

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

Migration of CharOp Handbooks Empty
PostSubject: Migration of CharOp Handbooks   Migration of CharOp Handbooks EmptyFri Sep 13, 2013 8:06 am

So, with the Wizard Forums being complete garbage with no sign of salvation anytime soon, should we try and repost the Handbooks from their CharOp boards to ours just so there's a place where folks can actually access the damn things in a working fashion?
Back to top Go down
Chris24601
Legend
Legend

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Migration of CharOp Handbooks   Migration of CharOp Handbooks EmptyFri Sep 13, 2013 9:38 am

I was about to suggest the same thing. I think it would be an excellent idea to put them someplace a bit more friendly.

The good news is that the sticky-post with all the links is still functioning so digging them out shouldn't be too hard. The biggest issue as I see it would be making sure that proper attribution is given to the original poster of the guides.
Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet
Name: Felorn Gloryaxe
Class: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

PostSubject: Re: Migration of CharOp Handbooks   Migration of CharOp Handbooks EmptyFri Sep 13, 2013 3:22 pm

Yeah I'm all for it. Though I'm not a big optimizer I find them cool to look at. How would we go about do it though? Should we contact the original posters, or, just copy them and give them credit?
Back to top Go down
ToeSama
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
ToeSama

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Migration of CharOp Handbooks   Migration of CharOp Handbooks EmptyFri Sep 13, 2013 6:07 pm

Contacting would be the best option I would think. Best to be open about it than just be like "hur hur, posted your stuff over here".

Another option is to see about converting the contents of the handbooks into PDF files. Went ahead and asked them about this one in particular.
Back to top Go down
Scrivener of Doom
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
Scrivener of Doom

PostSubject: Re: Migration of CharOp Handbooks   Migration of CharOp Handbooks EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 2:44 am

That's a great idea.

It should also help drive traffic here.
Back to top Go down
skwyd42
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
skwyd42

Character sheet
Name: Alain Smith IV
Class: Vampire
Race: Half-Elf

PostSubject: Re: Migration of CharOp Handbooks   Migration of CharOp Handbooks EmptyMon Sep 16, 2013 12:11 am

I am 100% behind this. I am not typically an optimizer. I'm usually the DM anyway. However I found the CharOp posts to be helpful in giving players some friendly advice of possible choices when they felt their character just wasn't doing what they wanted. So if we can get the original posters to consent to posting them here that would be fantastic. And if any of them wanted to update the handbooks (I know some were created before later supplements were published) that would be great as well.

As you can see, I can't really offer any help other than my "cheerleading" for it to happen. But I have that in abundance!!!!
Back to top Go down
svendj
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer
svendj

PostSubject: Re: Migration of CharOp Handbooks   Migration of CharOp Handbooks EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 8:38 am

Good idea! You're free to copy my handbooks to this site:

Psion handbook

Classless damage guide

Do you know if the color coding translates properly to this forum's code though?
Back to top Go down
ToeSama
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
ToeSama

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Migration of CharOp Handbooks   Migration of CharOp Handbooks EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 11:40 am

svendj wrote:
Do you know if the color coding translates properly to this forum's code though?
If it's as simple as this is, shouldn't be a problem to convert. I would think sizing might be a bigger issue myself.

Also, mind seeing if the other handbook writers wouldn't mind? I know they're putting stuff up at EnWorld lately, but the more places we have stuff the better after all :)
Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Migration of CharOp Handbooks   Migration of CharOp Handbooks EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 5:29 pm

Seems like the color coding was lost in the transition between the new & old WotC forums.
Back to top Go down
Chris24601
Legend
Legend

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Migration of CharOp Handbooks   Migration of CharOp Handbooks EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 6:33 pm

Felorn Gloryaxe wrote:
Seems like the color coding was lost in the transition between the new & old WotC forums.
I've been thinking that, to avoid such a problem in the future, it might be worth changing the grading system from colors to letters. Red = F, Purple = D, Black = C, Dark Blue = B, Sky Blue = A, Gold = A+, Green = ???

That way the guide can be read without any formatting at all if necessary.
Back to top Go down
svendj
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer
svendj

PostSubject: Re: Migration of CharOp Handbooks   Migration of CharOp Handbooks EmptyFri Sep 20, 2013 4:01 am

ToeSama wrote:
svendj wrote:
If it's as simple as this is, shouldn't be a problem to convert. I would think sizing might be a bigger issue myself.

Also, mind seeing if the other handbook writers wouldn't mind? I know they're putting stuff up at EnWorld lately, but the more places we have stuff the better after all Smile
I'll ask around.

Regarding the colors, if you edit a handbook post, all the colors appear in the text edit window. But when you post it, the colors disappear. But only the author can edit them, and since most authors aren't active on the forums anymore, you're not going to get the complete handbooks.

Even if you get the colors, we still don't know if the color coding translates properly. If it doesn't, the most annoying problem will be changing all the colors (or ratings, as suggested above) manually. Coloring/rating hundreds of game elements per handbook is an insane amount of work.

Can you provide a link to a handbook on EnWorld? I'd like to see how that migration went.
Back to top Go down
Scrivener of Doom
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
Scrivener of Doom

PostSubject: Re: Migration of CharOp Handbooks   Migration of CharOp Handbooks EmptyFri Sep 20, 2013 5:03 am

I was reading the other day that if you take open the posts in Chrome and then copy them across to a document open in Google Docs, oops, Google Drive then you can preserve the formatting.

Chrome is currently sucking for me on my Third World internet connection so I can't try it but someone else might be able to.
Back to top Go down
ToeSama
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
ToeSama

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Migration of CharOp Handbooks   Migration of CharOp Handbooks EmptyFri Sep 20, 2013 7:09 am

svendj wrote:
Regarding the colors, if you edit a handbook post, all the colors appear in the text edit window. But when you post it, the colors disappear. But only the author can edit them, and since most authors aren't active on the forums anymore, you're not going to get the complete handbooks.
Try and post an example from your Psion Handbook in this thread and see if the color codes match up. Quoting a post on the Wizards boards doesn't seem to work anymore, so I can't get the forum code from it myself.

svendj wrote:
Even if you get the colors, we still don't know if the color coding translates properly. If it doesn't, the most annoying problem will be changing all the colors (or ratings, as suggested above) manually. Coloring/rating hundreds of game elements per handbook is an insane amount of work.
First post in this thread has a link to an archive download of all the old html handbook data. Color is preserved in those, so simple cut and paste should work. We'll have to add the coding for coloring and formatting in ourselves sadly, but it saves us from having to re-evaluate EVERYTHING from scratch.

svendj wrote:
Can you provide a link to a handbook on EnWorld? I'd like to see how that migration went.
Here you go.
Back to top Go down
svendj
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer
svendj

PostSubject: Re: Migration of CharOp Handbooks   Migration of CharOp Handbooks EmptyFri Sep 20, 2013 9:16 am

Test: copy/pasted from an Edit window in the Psion handbook.

EDIT: doesn't work. Let's try the Plain Text version from the Edit window.

EDIT: doesn't work either. I'm out of ideas.
Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Migration of CharOp Handbooks   Migration of CharOp Handbooks EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 2:50 am

http://web.archive.org/web/20130605070220/http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/29175513/The_Minds_Eye:_a_Psion_Handbook

We can always use the Wayback machine in order to get the old color coded version if we can't find them else where. Though getting them over with colors will be a problem.
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet
Name: Garthanos
Class: Arcadian Knight
Race: Auld Worlder

PostSubject: Re: Migration of CharOp Handbooks   Migration of CharOp Handbooks EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 6:13 am

I had a creative character build collection built up in the WOTC sites wiki... all lost.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dyasdesigns.com/kingsmagic.html
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Migration of CharOp Handbooks   Migration of CharOp Handbooks EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 1:49 pm

Yeesh. That new forum screwed up everything. Not to mention it's fairly ugly... Neutral 
Back to top Go down
ToeSama
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
ToeSama

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Migration of CharOp Handbooks   Migration of CharOp Handbooks EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 6:21 pm

Felorn Gloryaxe wrote:
Not to mention it's fairly ugly... :| 
That's offensive to things that are ugly...
Back to top Go down
Chris24601
Legend
Legend

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Migration of CharOp Handbooks   Migration of CharOp Handbooks EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 5:02 pm

Update: I was just checking for general build concepts over on the WotC CharOp site and it appears they've finally restored the colors to the guides... which should make it a lot easier for us to migrate them here should we choose to do so.
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Migration of CharOp Handbooks   Migration of CharOp Handbooks EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 5:42 pm

The issue of things like the Wiki being gone gone gone... is for me a reason to go ahead and migrate you cant trust the content will remain, it is good however to hear that the styling is cleaning up over there.
Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Migration of CharOp Handbooks   Migration of CharOp Handbooks EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 5:44 pm

Any word on other users giving us permission to copy them over here?
Back to top Go down
cyvaris
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
cyvaris

PostSubject: Re: Migration of CharOp Handbooks   Migration of CharOp Handbooks EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 6:06 pm

I honestly would start sending PMs to the users who maintain the guides. If we don't hear back from them in X days...."rewrite" the guides in so much that you use their guide to guide your ratings/words. Credit them in the post as the baseline you used. At least that way some version of these excellent resources is maintained.
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Migration of CharOp Handbooks   Migration of CharOp Handbooks EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 7:48 pm

cyvaris wrote:
I honestly would start sending PMs to the users who maintain the guides. If we don't hear back from them in X days...."rewrite" the guides in so much that you use their guide to guide your ratings/words. Credit them in the post as the baseline you used. At least that way some version of these excellent resources is maintained.
Agreed
Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Migration of CharOp Handbooks   Migration of CharOp Handbooks EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 9:19 pm

Well looks like I've got some PMs to send out.
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Migration of CharOp Handbooks   Migration of CharOp Handbooks EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 4:23 pm

Felorn Gloryaxe wrote:
Well looks like I've got some PMs to send out.
Any progress on this?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Migration of CharOp Handbooks   Migration of CharOp Handbooks Empty

Back to top Go down

Migration of CharOp Handbooks
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4ENCLAVE :: 4th Edition :: 4e General Discussion-
Jump to: