4ENCLAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Location-in-Motion FAQ

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
CHIA
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
CHIA

The Location-in-Motion FAQ  Empty
PostSubject: The Location-in-Motion FAQ    The Location-in-Motion FAQ  EmptyThu May 16, 2013 2:23 pm

(Repost)

Recently, a style of DMing known as Location-in-Motion has become somewhat well-known on these boards, thanks to iserith and his efforts. Smile I'm no expert, but I think I have the idea down, feel free to criticize and suggest additions/deletions. Smile Based on suggestions, I've attached links to some of the questions. Those are threads relating to that subject on the general DM boards.

What is LIM? LIM is a style of DMing in which there is no predetermined plot. Rather, the heroes are dropped into a location with various dangers and factions, and everyone (including the DM) plays to find out what happens next!

How is LIM different than "sandboxing"? LIM differs from sandboxing in one major way. In sandboxing, the PCs are dropped into an environment, and start up trouble/ solve potential problems, etc. However, in LIM there are barbarians at the gate, so to speak ( or even inside them! :O). The PCs have enemies around, the setting is in't merely sitting there like block of gelatin waiting for a prod (Hence the "in motion"). community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Why makes LIM any better then another style, such as railroading? Short answer: Nothing. Playstyles are determined by group preference. Railroading can be a perfectly fun style, it allows epic and dramatic encounters to take place, with grand plots arcing over the whole campaign. However, many prefer a more fluid game, with unplanned events.

How can I run an LIM game?
It may be a good idea to run a test game, to see what style your group prefers. One important rule is DON'T PRE-PLAN THE PLOT. It may seem easy to avoid, but the urge to throw in a cool plot direction surfaces from time to time. It's probably a good idea to start off in a dungeon of some sort, and from there just go where your layers lead you, rather than a more complicated location like a city. A central part of LIM is the idea of dangers, the "bad guys" of the area. First off you might want to divide the area into wards, like sectors, and give a few keywords to describe each ward. It's very helpful to have a sheet of notes ready with details of the environment. Here's an excellent template to use.

Location-In-Motion Adventure Front _______________________________
Dangers
Danger: Name (Type)
Impulse: This is what the danger may try to do in any given situation. For example, an evil army's impulse might be to conquer. It dosen't have to dictate specific action, but is more of a guideline for unexpected situations.
Impending Doom: This is what might happen in the case of a total victory for the danger. The aforementioned evil army's Impending Doom might be conquest of the city of Habinathe, sacrificing enemy priests in the name of Bane and converting the population into a slave workforce.
Grim Portents: These are little events you can toss out there in case the players are ignoring the danger. They show the party that the danger is still there, and ready to kick some PC butt if they don't do something. For example, an advance guard outpost of the city might fall to the evil army of Bane.
DM Actions: These are relatively simple actions that the danger might take, potentially in reaction to another stimulis. For example, the evil army could grow in numbers by conquest. They should be more general, and less of a sign of approaching doom, then the Grim Portents.
Same thing again for any other dangers.

Description and Cast: Give yourself a basic summary of what is going on, as well as descriptive keywords for some major players. i e. General Tarrion (Hobgoblin Leader of the Holy Army of Bane) Cunning, Manipulative, Determined

Map key:
It's advisable to make a rough sketch of the location and its wards, as well as setting up some special locations like a small dungeon delve, and maybe a BBEG lair or some other set piece.
Monsters/NPCs Straight from iserith: "Stat blocks that are fairly generic for each danger plus a few random monsters to pull out." I haven't been using quotes for the others but this is the best (and simplest) description I could think of. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... [/sblock] That's it for now, although I have no doubt there will be additions to this. Mad props, so to speak, to iserith and others who have brought LIM to these boards. Smile This template is straight from him, and all of the ideas as well.
Here's where it all began, Dungeon World Smile www.dungeon-world.com/ book.dwgazetteer.com/

Here's a very helpful blog on LIM as well, middleageddm.wordpress.com/