4ENCLAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

So, I'm building a system, and...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
doctorbadwolf
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

So, I'm building a system, and... Empty
PostSubject: So, I'm building a system, and...   So, I'm building a system, and... EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 10:23 pm

Anyone interested in playtesting/looking over some documents?

I still gotta figure out some legal stuff, because I do intend to sell this thing, and don't want other people to be able to make money from parts of it without acknowledging me and/or paying me, but in the meantime I'd like to discuss the broad concepts, some of the mechanics, etc, with people that I know share at least some of my general taste in RPGs. I do have some sources of feedback from people who like entirely other stuff, so I'm not in a affirmation echo chamber or anything.

Anyway, the dice system is d% + Xd10, where X is equal to ranks in a skill.

Assuming a "Moderate" TN (target number. might just use DC, idk) of 55 and an "Easy" TN of 45, 0 ranks has a halfway decent chance with Easy tasks, and a mildly less than 50/50 chance with Moderate tasks. I can't find my list of the "chance to succeed at TN 55, by rank" list right now, but IIRC, rank 4 is in the high to mid 60 percentile success chance for Moderate DCs. That is also the highest you can push a skill at chargen.

Also of note, skill ranks always cost the same, because there's a diminishing return in terms of success rate, so the only benefit to more ranks past 7 or 8 is to allow more actions per turn.

Actions per turn aren't limited, but every action beyond 1 incurs a -1d penalty on all action checks that round. (as you might guess, you declare your turn, calculate any penalties or bonuses, and then start rolling)

So, that's the basic system. I know, I need to figure out a cleaner, less wordy and complicated way of explaining it. Right now, I'm not even close to the editing phase.

As far as flavour, the setting tied to the system is Earth. There's always been magic, and the supernatural in general, but it's mostly hidden until somewhere around 2015 CE. There's a spike in supernatural activity from just before the turn of the 20th Century until the last 1930's, after which things die down until around 2005. Unexplainable things happen more and more, and more people become quietly aware, until secrecy finally starts to really break down about ten years later.

BIG NOTE: While this has similarities to both WoD and Shadowrun, it is very different.

So. anyone wanna help a fellow 4-umite out with some discussion thread? Razz
Back to top Go down
CHIA
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
CHIA

PostSubject: Re: So, I'm building a system, and...   So, I'm building a system, and... EmptySat Jun 29, 2013 9:46 am

This sounds really cool. I'd help out but I rarely get to actually hold RPG sessions. My players and I all have hectic schedules. I'd be interested in seeing any fluff you come up with, though!study 
Back to top Go down
doctorbadwolf
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: So, I'm building a system, and...   So, I'm building a system, and... EmptySat Jun 29, 2013 5:37 pm

cool! I'm working on compiling what I have into one "player's guide" type document right now, and building a beastiary and actually typing out the world building stuff I've figured out.

Once at least most of that is done, I'll share it with you.
Back to top Go down
CHIA
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
CHIA

PostSubject: Re: So, I'm building a system, and...   So, I'm building a system, and... EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 9:14 am

doctorbadwolf wrote:
cool! I'm working on compiling what I have into one "player's guide" type document right now, and building a beastiary and actually typing out the world building stuff I've figured out.

Once at least most of that is done, I'll share it with you.

Great!bounce 
Back to top Go down
doctorbadwolf
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: So, I'm building a system, and...   So, I'm building a system, and... EmptyTue Jul 09, 2013 11:15 pm

First few real playtests have gone very well. I think I've got summoning rules nailed down, the action economy works, skills work as intended, but my group isn't used to the level of improv the system wants them to do. Luckily, as I build more techniques and spells, they can use those more, but I definitely need to push improv on them and see if it works like I expect.

Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet
Name: Felorn Gloryaxe
Class: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

PostSubject: Re: So, I'm building a system, and...   So, I'm building a system, and... EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 12:49 am

I wouldn't mind taking a look either.
Back to top Go down
doctorbadwolf
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: So, I'm building a system, and...   So, I'm building a system, and... EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 1:43 am

Sweet!

Since I have a full time job, it'll probably be a couple weeks before I have enough of the stuff in my head transferred onto a document. I'll post some basic concept stuff, things in progress, etc in the meantime.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So, I'm building a system, and...   So, I'm building a system, and... Empty

Back to top Go down

So, I'm building a system, and...
Page 1 of 1