4ENCLAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

what is the race you like to play the most?

Go down 
+7
ToeSama
Felorn Gloryaxe
Chris24601
Durriken
Kazadvorn
Admin
hardihood1
11 posters
AuthorMessage
hardihood1
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

what is the race you like to play the most? Empty
PostSubject: what is the race you like to play the most?   what is the race you like to play the most? EmptySat May 17, 2014 12:25 pm

what race do you like to play the most?

iv played a couple Elves, and a great dwarf slayer. but id have to say right now im playing a halfling thief and its a lot of fun being a small character.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Name: Admin
Class: Admin
Race: Immortal Astral Being

PostSubject: Re: what is the race you like to play the most?   what is the race you like to play the most? EmptySat May 17, 2014 12:29 pm

Honestly... I've never really liked elves. Matter of a fact I always poke fun at people that play elves.  Razz

I love playing dwarves personally. My first character ever was a dwarf. That's where I got my username.

I also enjoy playing Humans, Half-Dwarves, and Half-elves oddly enough.
Back to top Go down
https://4enclave.forumotion.com
Kazadvorn
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: what is the race you like to play the most?   what is the race you like to play the most? EmptySat May 17, 2014 12:32 pm

Before 4e, I almost exclusively played Dwarf Characters - usually Rangers, with Paladins and Clerics a distant second and third.

In 4e, I discovered the Shifters, and that's the only race I play now (well, I'll run a pre-gen if the Encounters group needs a slot filled, but other than 'pickup' games it's Shifters).

I look at other races from time to time - Wilden, Goliaths, my old standby Dwarfs... but I seem to come back to the Shifters. I have three that I'm running now in different games... A Razorclaw Seeker, a Longtooth Warden, and a Longtooth Druid. I'm looking at doing a Berserker Longtooth next.
Back to top Go down
hardihood1
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: what is the race you like to play the most?   what is the race you like to play the most? EmptySat May 17, 2014 12:38 pm

i played a evil teifling warlock and that was a real fun character. i was a diva averger ones who was a blast. iv not played a human because.....well i am one. it fun to try out new stuff.

i started with an elf fighter, but i played an elf ranger once up to 10th level. i did have a dwarf slayer up to 8th level who was turning out to be a power house.

usually in my group most people play humans to try and get the most of the race percs. i think im the first halfling ever.....
Back to top Go down
Durriken
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
Durriken

Character sheet
Name: Durriken
Class: Disestablishmentarian
Race: Green dragon

PostSubject: Re: what is the race you like to play the most?   what is the race you like to play the most? EmptyWed May 21, 2014 8:10 am

They did such a good job balancing the races in 4E that I have a really hard time picking favorites. There are great things about some many of them. I've gotten the them point where I would play just about anything, even a human (at one point I refused to play a human because I had to play one everyday irl). My one gripe is that small sized character get the shaft of weapons, making them inferior choices for some classes because they can't keep up on to-hit bonus or damage dice compared to medium sized. I guess the difference between a d8 and a d6 is really only 1 point (4.5 avg vs 3.5 avg) or d8 with +3 prof. vs d8 with +2 prof. is only off by 5% in avg number of hits... but it feels bigger than that. And makes me not want to every take a small character for most weapon based classes (rogue being a notable exception).
TjD
Back to top Go down
Chris24601
Legend
Legend

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: what is the race you like to play the most?   what is the race you like to play the most? EmptyWed May 21, 2014 9:08 am

Humans have always been my preferred race to the point that, unless the campaign requirements make it impossible, that's what I'll almost certainly be playing (and in the one campaign where that was the case; all the pureblooded races had died out leaving only hybrids; I was able to make a half-elf).

I just don't feel any sort of connection to 'proud warrior race guy' or 'haughty enigmatic race guy' or 'hated and feared tribal race guy'. They're all too limiting. Humans can be all those things and more, often all at the same time. Everything else is just a subset of humanity with mechanics tacked on to make them better at the things that subset is expected to do.

To play a human keeps me from being complacent in why my character does things. Most of the races in D&D (and pretty much every game system) are a bag of stereotypes you can fall into line with without giving it to much thought.

If you could just as easily replace a given race with a group of humans sharing the same cultural traits then my choice has invariably been to play a human with those traits as it forces me to put more thought into why that character believes what they believe rather than I otherwise would by just accepting certain traits because I belong to race X.
Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet
Name: Felorn Gloryaxe
Class: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

PostSubject: Re: what is the race you like to play the most?   what is the race you like to play the most? EmptyWed May 21, 2014 9:18 am

Chris24601 wrote:
Humans have always been my preferred race to the point that, unless the campaign requirements make it impossible, that's what I'll almost certainly be playing (and in the one campaign where that was the case; all the pureblooded races had died out leaving only hybrids; I was able to make a half-elf).

I just don't feel any sort of connection to 'proud warrior race guy' or 'haughty enigmatic race guy' or 'hated and feared tribal race guy'. They're all too limiting. Humans can be all those things and more, often all at the same time. Everything else is just a subset of humanity with mechanics tacked on to make them better at the things that subset is expected to do.

To play a human keeps me from being complacent in why my character does things. Most of the races in D&D (and pretty much every game system) are a bag of stereotypes you can fall into line with without giving it to much thought.

If you could just as easily replace a given race with a group of humans sharing the same cultural traits then my choice has invariably been to play a human with those traits as it forces me to put more thought into why that character believes what they believe rather than I otherwise would by just accepting certain traits because I belong to race X.

Agreed. In the campaign setting I'm currently working on there is only 1 race, Humans. Though there are sub-races of sorts.
Back to top Go down
ToeSama
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
ToeSama

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: what is the race you like to play the most?   what is the race you like to play the most? EmptyThu May 22, 2014 5:52 pm

I don't have a specific race I really like over any other race in 4e. I was a huge fan of Synads back in the 3.5 days though. Shame they never made a comeback for 4e's Psionic stuff...
Back to top Go down
hardihood1
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: what is the race you like to play the most?   what is the race you like to play the most? EmptyThu May 22, 2014 10:44 pm

not familiar with the synads? can you describe them for me?
Back to top Go down
ToeSama
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
ToeSama

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: what is the race you like to play the most?   what is the race you like to play the most? EmptySat May 24, 2014 2:50 pm

They were humanoid folk with three different minds inhabiting the same body. At a glance int he light, they looked like regular humans, but in lower light, you could see two ghost like "masks" following them around next to their head, acting as their second and third minds. They were naturally Psionic, and could spend power points to gain a free swift action to allow them to take a mental task, such as manifesting a psionic power. They had no particular favored multiclass, which made for some interesting character building depending on your class choices.

You can find them in the Complete Psionic supplement on page 139.
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet
Name: Garthanos
Class: Arcadian Knight
Race: Auld Worlder

PostSubject: Re: what is the race you like to play the most?   what is the race you like to play the most? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2016 8:33 am

I like to play humans, heck even when I want to play a "human" with particular talents, reflavoring a race with the right mechanics is sometimes more sensible, I might build Robyn of the wood as an elf.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dyasdesigns.com/kingsmagic.html
Honorbound
Legend
Legend

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: what is the race you like to play the most?   what is the race you like to play the most? EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 5:43 pm

I definitely prefer humans over the other races.
Back to top Go down
skwyd42
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
skwyd42

Character sheet
Name: Alain Smith IV
Class: Vampire
Race: Half-Elf

PostSubject: Re: what is the race you like to play the most?   what is the race you like to play the most? EmptySat Feb 13, 2016 12:21 pm

Apparently, a poll was taken of Dwarves. Turns out that 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy. In fact, one is really Grumpy.
Back to top Go down
Fox Lee
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer
Fox Lee

Character sheet
Name: Fox Lee
Class: Social Justice Barbarian
Race: Stack of Trolls

PostSubject: Re: what is the race you like to play the most?   what is the race you like to play the most? EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 12:25 am

I like playing massive tank women, so I favour Mul and Goliath, but half-orc make amazing paladins. For boys, pretty otherworldy things like daevas and eladrin suit me nicely.

(In actuality, I prefer the homebrew races from our setting - especially the jotun, a sort of fey troll - but that's not helpful in a shared thread :p)
Back to top Go down
http://www.invincible.ink
skwyd42
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
skwyd42

Character sheet
Name: Alain Smith IV
Class: Vampire
Race: Half-Elf

PostSubject: Re: what is the race you like to play the most?   what is the race you like to play the most? EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 10:21 am

When I played D&D (as opposed to being the DM) I prefered elves, usually. In 4E, I loved the Eladrin and I would play them as very quiet and reserved.

In previous editions, I played a halfling fighter/rogue/duelist, which was a LOT of fun. We called her "pincushon" due to the number of attacks per round she would dish out.

I also played a Swanmay Ranger back in 2e. That was fun.

But yeah, I pretty much have to go with elves.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what is the race you like to play the most?   what is the race you like to play the most? Empty

Back to top Go down

what is the race you like to play the most?
Page 1 of 1