4ENCLAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management

Go down 
+4
Admin
thanson02
Galstaff
Athistaur
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet
Name: Garthanos
Class: Arcadian Knight
Race: Auld Worlder

Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management   Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 9:34 am

Athistaur wrote:

It's a web app, the speed is entirely dependend upon your internet connection. If you want to speed it up a little i recommend to switch the UI design theme from "Folio" to "Flat" under profiles.

Cheers,
Athistaur
A ui that used SVG and similar rendering might have a nice scaleability faster download but be more client side speed dependent (even so modern devices like the android phones and tablets actually have much higher performance than ever so it even then the most likely hitches are still network lag)

I do a lot of web app development with heavy client side coding elements... specifically in the mapping arena.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dyasdesigns.com/kingsmagic.html
Athistaur
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management   Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 11:26 am

Yes.
On one side I tested it on several devices without speed issues and the desktop features aside it is very light on client side processing.
Still the devices I used for testing are all more recent ones and I can't rule out that it's slow on other devices.
I use svg due to the scalability and download performance just like you said. If you recommend against it because the rendering is a factor I could switch back to png, but I doubt it.
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management   Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 12:37 pm

No I dont think pngs offer any benefit currently.
I didn't actually dig under the hood to see what you are using (very much approve of SVG based UI)

I can test on my Android Tablet while not the "latest" it was pretty buff for its date of purchase.

Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management   Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 8:45 am

My Tablet runs your app pretty darn slick so far. But I havent really put it through many paces.
Back to top Go down
Chris24601
Legend
Legend

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management   Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 1:53 pm

One thing bear in mind regardi g damage numbers is that the DMG1 numbers were superceded by larger numbers in the MM3 and later products. I recently built some quick reference tables for a new DM and the following hit the MM3 average values almost perfectly... Minion (4+1/2 level), Low (1d6+1d6/tier+1/2 level), Average (2d6+level), High (2d6+1d6/tier+level) and Extreme (2d10/tier+level).
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management   Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 5:49 pm

My son made a monstrosity...

http://www.athistaur.net/dmf/dmf_monster_builder.php?monster_id=555&task=0

He approves of the toy.
Back to top Go down
Athistaur
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management   Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 1:14 am

I recommend to use the share button, to create a permalink that anybody can view.  The link above requires to be logged in.  Embarassed 
About the monster itself: I like it.  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil

About the damage, I'll look into it.
[edit] I ran the numbers myself. The gap between DMG and the proposal by Chris is pretty big. Looking into the MM3 at several random monsters I can not confirm his formula, but honestly they sound good.
Not sure what to make of it... Use higher numbers, recreate the formula based on MM3, stick with DMG1 numbers?
The big idea is that when I create a monster with the Folio I do not have to worry about the numbers, so I dislike to fall back to DM Fiat to rebalance them. Would you like to see the bigger numbers replacing the current values?
Or should I make this change a bigger feature and allows several damage progressions based on the campaign?
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management   Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 8:06 am

oops guess this one is more convenient...

www.athistaur.net/dmf/share?id=9

My son likes over the top.
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management   Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 8:07 am

Allow user to choose DMG1*, MM3 and Custom might be optimal.

*or scaled like it.
Back to top Go down
Chris24601
Legend
Legend

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management   Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 9:26 am

Admittedly, my numbers were designed for a new DM to build a monster on the fly with a minimum of fuss and using just pen and paper (since we don't have internet access at the table) rather than holding as close to the average numbers as possible.

That said, the average damage value (2d6+level) Is right in line with the average damage numbers for MM3 and 'MM3 on a notecard' (7+level). The low value was the best simple equation I could find for the -25% value for attacks with significant status effects (the extra d6 per tier was to make up for the difference between simple to calculate '+1/2 level' and the actual +3/4 level the equation should really use. Likewise the strong damage category was trying to reasonably get to the +25% value for brutes and most limited use powers (though if the limited use power has a major status effect it should be reduced back to the average value per the rules) and the extra d6 per tier was to put it closer to the +5/4 level the math is trying to match up with. I considered the deviation of +/-1 per tier from the actual averages to be and acceptable trade-off for not having to deal with d4's in the damage calculations.

Where the math mostly breaks down is for the extreme damage (meant to model the +50% damage of brute limited use attacks) at the upper and lower end of the tiers. A level 10 brute encounter attack should do about 25.5 damage (17x1.5=25.5) while my equation only yields 21 (5.5x2+10=22) while a level 11 brute encounter attack should do 27 damage on average (18x1.5=27) while my equation does 33 (5.5x4+11=33). In the mid-levels though the damage was much closer to the actual average.

That's because I needed simple equations for quick and dirty scatchpad math for a DM who needs to set up an unplanned combat and doesn't want to waste 10 minutes going through the books to find suitable opponents in the right level range. For a closer approximation on a computer you could probably change the extreme damage math to 2d10+1d10 at 8, 13, 18, 23, 28 and 33 + level to smooth off the extremes, but when you're trying to fit it onto a notecard for easy DM reference 2d10/tier+level was just a lot more elegant and only really applied to a fee levels for one type of power for one type of monster anyway.

As with all attempts to streamline something there's going to be a compromise between accuracy and speed. Due to who my equations were designed for, I chose a little more speed over a bit more accuracy.
Back to top Go down
Athistaur
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management   Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 10:12 am

Hi Chris,
all i said was that i looked at a few RANDOM monsters, i totally not expect that to proof anything.
Is there a table what the damage numbers used in MM3 actually are? Or, as it looks, did you run these numbers yourself?
If the later is the case, may i ask for permission to use your numbers in the Folio? It looks like I'm going to implement a switch between different damage tables and i would be glad to use your formulas.
(I would translate it into dice and bonus in any case, for example (21 = 2d10 + 10))
If you would provider more accurate numbers, the better.
Back to top Go down
Chris24601
Legend
Legend

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management   Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 1:29 pm

The actual rules for damage are a bit messy, but to summerize from the 'MM3 on a business card' the average damage for a monster attack is 8+level (so for level 1 you might use 1d6+6 or 1d8+5 or 1d10+4). If the attack is an encounter or recharge attack you increase the damage by +25-50%. If the monster is a brute you increase the damage by +25%. If the attack is a multi-target attack, the melee attack of an artillery role monster, or imposes a significant condition (ex. stunned, dominated, blinded, helpless) then reduce the damage by -25%. Minions do a flat 4+1/2 level damage with their attacks.

That's pretty much it for official guidelines on damage, though there's a fair amount of 'feels right' wiggle room you need to apply since, as written the damage doesn't distinguish between an encounter power and a recharge 4+ power, nor between a power that does straight damage and one that also slows and dazes a target (save ends both).

My PERSONAL rule of thumb for damage is that every non-minion monster gets one minor rider related to its role without affecting a power's damage (ex. a soldier needs to be 'sticky' so a free slow, mark or 'can't shift' rider would be free for them) while two minor riders (ex. slowed AND dazed) or one major rider (stunned) reduces the damage by one step (ex. from high damage to average damage). I also reduce the damage by one step if an power is an immediate or minor action power (since its basically able to use that power and a basic attack during the same round).

My rule of thumb on encounter and recharge powers for custom monsters is that standards should be able to get 1 encounter attack per tier off before they drop (elites should get off 2/tier before they drop and solos should get off 4/tier before they go down). So a paragon tier standard should either have two encounter powers or one with a high enough recharge that, as a group, each should get to use it twice during the encounter (one might only use it once while another gets three uses of it... But it still averages two each) and if a critter can use something 4 or more times during an encounter, just give it an at-will instead and avoid the hassle of tracking recharges.
Back to top Go down
Chris24601
Legend
Legend

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management   Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 1:57 pm

My phone doesn't let me edit so let me add that you're welcome to use my numbers if you wish (there's nothing particularly propriatary about damage formulas)... Though if you're calculating anything automatically, you might want to go with the longer extreme damage expression I put in the later post.

Even better would be to calculate the average damage for each type of attack and then let the person building the monster choose the number and type of dice with the remainder as a damage bonus (ex. a level 15 soldier should do an average of 23 damage... so if a designer picked 3d6 for damage the program would subtract 10 (3.5 per d6 dropping the .5) from that 23 average and display the damage as 3d6+13.
Back to top Go down
Athistaur
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management   Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 16, 2014 2:15 pm

Hi,
i finally reworked the damage calculation.

You can now switch bedween the lower (called "classic") and the higher damage expressions (called "essentials").
Just go to campaign and there you'll see where to switch. If you switch this automatically affects your whole campaign and all monsters. You can switch as often as you like.

Concerning the proposal to let the designer pick the dice, I do not think that is a good thing at the end of day. Right now you can change the level of a monster on the fly, switch bedween 2 damage tables and change the damage type of each individual power you create.
Last but not least, any power you create can be used with other monsters of other levels if you like.

If the designer would choose (for example) a fixed 3d6 as dices for a power, this would likely unbalance these options. Still when i rewrote the damage calculation core to allow for the switch i already included that the damage is now stored as damage average as well. This may allow more variation at a later time.
Back to top Go down
thanson02
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer
thanson02

Character sheet
Name: thanson02
Class: Monk
Race: Human

PostSubject: Re: Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management   Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 17, 2014 8:48 am

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Athistaur
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management   Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 12:32 pm

Hi,
just to inform you about some of the recent additions to the Folio:

On the main page you'll now get a random Tip whenever you visit. I hope this helps a little to bring all those little features to your attention that are unknown.

You will now be informed whenever somebody comments or rates the content you shared. You have an overview of these comments and ratings under the topic "Notifications".

While nobody but myself uses the folio to provide handouts there is neat new feature for these handouts. If you send a handout to one of your players, the player is informed in realtime about the handout as long as he is logged in into the Folio. There is an overview about those handouts now as well.

Oh, and you can now share powers as well.
Back to top Go down
Athistaur
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management   Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 3:54 pm

I reworked the password recovery. You now can (if you want) add your E-Mail address under profile. If you forget your password you can click the link on the login page "Forgot password?". Enter your username and you at once get your password mailed to you.

If anybody forgot his password and has no e-mail given, as before he can contact me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management   Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Dungeon Master Folio - WebApp for 4e campaign management
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2