4ENCLAVE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wounds are permanent right? Help me with a power.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet
Name: Garthanos
Class: Arcadian Knight
Race: Auld Worlder

Wounds are permanent right? Help me with a power. Empty
PostSubject: Wounds are permanent right? Help me with a power.   Wounds are permanent right? Help me with a power. EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 1:36 pm

Thinking of martial controller (perhaps defender) power

Hamstring : A real weapon attack which hamstrings an enemy should not be slowed till the the next round thats what happens when the attempt fails.. a success ought to be a single target effectively permanent - in effect it creates an affliction* - this is effectively the same as till end of encounter assuming a ritualist or someone with the right healling martial practice - perhaps the attack does d6 + str/dex (if using a ranged/thrown weapon max range 10) and it might even reduce the enemies armor class/reflex defense by 2. Perhaps for the duration of the affliction or fight the enemy has a chance of falling prone each round they move over a certain distance.

Compare to Horrid Whispers which can affect up to nine enemies in a burst is a daily spell which slows with a save ends duration and penalizes the enemies attacks by 2 range 10.

Its possible the horrid whispers will affect every enemy for a duration that is long enough it is better than the hamstring... its also possible the hamstring will be better (and shorten the fight)

*Afflictions are mentioned in 4e and have a rule for their removal but currently how do you create them? dm fiat? doesnt it seem appropriate that martial types be the ones who inflict them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dyasdesigns.com/kingsmagic.html
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer
Felorn Gloryaxe

Character sheet
Name: Felorn Gloryaxe
Class: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

PostSubject: Re: Wounds are permanent right? Help me with a power.   Wounds are permanent right? Help me with a power. EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 1:10 pm

Seems like in 4e, actual wounds are only used for cinematic purposes. Most "wounds" are really just minor hindrances. I read an article not to long ago that was creating lasing wounds in 4e using the template for disease. It was pretty cool really.

And DM fiat seems to be the only real answer fr inflicting serious wounds. 4e never really introduced anything for called shots, etc. Though in a recent issue of Dragon magazine they did talk about wounds in Unearthed Arcana.

In terms of martial characters being able to induce wounds... That makes perfect sense. Their training could've helped teach them where to hit an enemy to only wound, or incapacitate him or her. But I also can see magic users being able to curse others. Perhaps giving them a permanent penalty of some sort.
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Wounds are permanent right? Help me with a power.   Wounds are permanent right? Help me with a power. EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 1:28 pm

Felorn Gloryaxe wrote:

In terms of martial characters being able to induce wounds... That makes perfect sense. Their training could've helped teach them where to hit an enemy to only wound, or incapacitate him or her. But I also can see magic users being able to curse others. Perhaps giving them a permanent penalty of some sort.
Heh certainly..
In some ways step one may be accepting that afflictions are allowable.

I think my example seems to show that afflictions are relate directly to powers which last till end of encounter.

I have also pictured kings blood-line magic (oath magic?) where intimidations of the encounter ending potency could induce an oath bound affliction in effect what scientists would call psycho-somatic injury on the subject if they break those oaths.
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Wounds are permanent right? Help me with a power.   Wounds are permanent right? Help me with a power. EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 10:28 pm

I think not following up on the potential of elements like afflictions is another reason I am hating on the re-boot of the D&D line.
Back to top Go down
Garthanos
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Wounds are permanent right? Help me with a power.   Wounds are permanent right? Help me with a power. EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 3:28 pm

It occurs to me this needs implemented broadly... I wonder how many controller area effects could be converted to fighter single/few target impairment till end of encounter effects - ie affliction caliber functionality.

Always have figured a defender was a bit of a single target controller.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wounds are permanent right? Help me with a power.   Wounds are permanent right? Help me with a power. Empty

Back to top Go down

Wounds are permanent right? Help me with a power.
Page 1 of 1